Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Tracking IANA's tokens for RFC-ed docs?

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:36:53 -0800

>Would it be possible (to get infrastructure in place) to track what 
>IANA thinks the status of the pending assignment is?

I'm mirroring http://www.iana.org/draft-status/draft-queue-status-all.html
daily, but haven't gotten around to mining anything out of it.

Can you give me an example of a document that you'd like to track,
to see if the information that you want is in my mirror?

  Bill

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:50:22 +0200 (EET)

> to see if the information that you want is in my mirror?

While the definition of "Waiting on feedback from author(s)" on the 
site also includes the ADs, IESG, IAB, etc., the IANA doesn't seem to 
use it except for author's action.

I'd look out for "Waiting on feedback from author(s)" and raise a red 
flag if the doc has been at that stage for e.g., over 30 days.

To fix the more generic waiting problem, maybe we'll need to have IANA 
implement a new state "Waiting on feedback from IETF" (IAB, or 
something like that) to be able to track non-author timeouts.

(The doc I'm interested in is draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-xx. 
According to the IANA, it has been waiting for IETF guidance on the 
assignment for a very long time now - the doc has been at the current 
status for 5 months.)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:06:45 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Pekka Savola wrote:
> I'd look out for "Waiting on feedback from author(s)" and raise a red flag if 
> the doc has been at that stage for e.g., over 30 days.

Thinking more, may be a couple of more sanity checks such as,

  - if a document is in "No IANA actions for this document" but 
RFC-editor has it in "IANA" stage, there is a problem

  - if a document is in "RFC-editor" state but RFC-editor has it in 
"IANA" state, there is a problem.

  - over 45 (?) days in "Open" state (this should reflect the time it 
takes to normally get the IANA requests through)

  - over 60 (?) days in "On hold" state may be an indication of a 
problem  (especially if RFC-editor has this in state "IANA").