Subject: [Tools-discuss] New tool prototype: Daily dose of IETF process

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:16:19 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'd like to announce a prototype of a new tool I've been hacking 
on lately.

http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/dailydose/

We already have good tools that show what's the current status of
various things in IETF; this tools shows the "delta" of that, or
what has changed during the last day. In other words, the script
downloads various IETF data sources daily, runs a diff against
yesterday's data, and displays the changes as an HTML page. And
there's an RSS feed, too, to make this Web 2.0 compliant :-)

The main data source is the "all_id.txt" ID Tracker database dump;
additional data comes from Bill Fenner's excellent tools, and some
others (the web page has a full list). For each document whose
status has changed, the tool throws in the abstract and a couple of
links to various other tools as well (e.g., direct link to Henrik's
diff tool for updated drafts).

In addition to showing what's happening, Jari Arkko suggested the
page should also show what's not happening. So there's an "IESG
Non-Progress" section showing the drafts that have been in the same
state for a long time (based on Bill's data, again). I hope that
making this data visible leads to this section becoming shorter 
soon :-)

Comments, bug reports, suggestions for improvement, etc. are 
most welcome!

Disclaimer: This is very much a prototype, and there are bugs. 
And due to the way the tool works, bug fixes are not retroactive
(some of the older pages have bugs that have already been fixed).

Best regards,
Pasi

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:13:54 +0200 (EET)

> there's an RSS feed, too, to make this Web 2.0 compliant :-)
...
> Comments, bug reports, suggestions for improvement, etc. are

While this might fit in the generic problem space you're looking into, 
I'm not sure it needs to be solved by the same tool, though...

One thing I've been looking for a long time has been "What has changed 
under www.ietf.org or www.iab.org in the last X days and how?"

It's really frustrating to click through (most) pages looking for new 
or updated stuff, and for updated stuff, try to figure out how it has 
or hasn't changed.  It's not uncommon that web pages are reorganized a 
bit, new features added, etc. without announcement.

Tracking updates on the web pages would be great ("the list of pages 
sorted by the modification date").  Being able to see the diffs in 
changed files with respect to earlier version would be fantastic.

If you'd like more specific data tracking suggestions, maybe one could 
track for instance:
  - IESG and/or IAB minutes
  - IESG projects list
  - IESG Statements on Accepted Individual Submissions
  - IESG Do Not Publish Requests on Individual Submissions
  - (Dare I say it..) the IPR disclosures page..

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:20:15 -0500

Pasi,
Love it!
1st suggestion: Any chance we could select a start and end date period?
2nd:  Check blocks to select among info, i.e., IETF-Announce, New 
Drafts, etc

Thanks.  Great tool.
Ray

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:31:39 +0100

Nice and useful!

	Henrik

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:13:18 -0800

> http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/dailydose/
 
Love it. 

> Non-Progress" 

Absolutely brutal - love it too.

Any plans for an ATOM feed of this?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:25:44 +0200

Pekka Savola wrote:

> If you'd like more specific data tracking suggestions, maybe 
> one could track for instance:

Thanks for the suggestions, these are really good ideas!  At 
least the IESG/IAB minutes and IPR disclosures look pretty
straightforward to do (simple structured data that's not too
difficult to "screen-scrape" from the web page).

The first one working (well, hopefully :-) is the IPR disclosures 
list -- and it looks like there are a couple new ones today:

http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/dailydose/11.html

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:32:49 +0200

Ray,

Due to the way the tool is implemented, doing arbitary date
comparisons would be quite difficult (there's no database 
backend or anything, and old data is not kept around longer
than needed).

The second idea might be doable.... Maybe some kind of "preferences"
stored in a cookie would work? The cookie could also remember
what was the latest date you've already seen.

Best regards,
Pasi

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Ray Pelletier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 10 December, 2005 11:20
> To: Eronen Pasi (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] New tool prototype: Daily dose 
> of IETF process
> 
> Pasi,
> Love it!
> 2nd:  Check blocks to select among info, i.e., IETF-Announce, 
> New Drafts, etc
> 
> Thanks.  Great tool.
> Ray

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:35:42 +0200

> Any plans for an ATOM feed of this?

Currently, no; I think all feed readers can understand the existing
RSS 2.0 feed (and since I wasn't involved in ATOM WG, the "eating 
your own dogfood" thing doesn't apply :-)

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:31:13 +0100

> http://people.nokia.net/~pasi/dailydose/11.html

Somewhere near javascript:toggle('id51') you got an "IPR note"
instead of the "abstract" for "draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide".

                          Bye, Frank

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:58:12 +0200

> instead of the "abstract" for "draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide".

Looks like a problem in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt:

  "Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors", Paul Hoffman, 
  13-Sep-04, <draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide-01.txt> 

    By submitting this Internet-Draft, I certify that any applicable
patent or 
    other IPR claims of which I am aware have been disclosed, or will be

    disclosed, and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in
accordance 
    with RFC 3668. 

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:49:25 +0100

>     disclosed, and any of which I become aware will be disclosed, in

If you look at the draft, it's actually a formatting problem in the draft
that confused the extraction of the abstract.

      Brian