Subject: [Tools-discuss] Font sizes in diff tool?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:18:01 +0100

Hi,

is there any particular reason why the font sizes in the diff tool output 
are specified in points?

This means, in particular, that zooming the text in Opera to get it to fit 
on my screen won't work....

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:57:45 +0100

Hi Harald,

> on my screen won't work....

Hmm.  Across the browsers and OSes I've tested, points have seemed to give
the best consistency and control, and I've not had the particular problem
you describe.  What I've checked include Firefox, IE, Safari and Konqueror
on Windows, Linux and OS-X -- remove the combinations that doesn't exist.

I'll download Opera and check it out, and see if I can understand the problem.

>From a philosophical point of view, with screens varying at least from 72 to
100 ppi today, with further variations probable in the future, I prefer to not
use pixels as a unit; but if on the other hand points simply doesn't work in
some cases, I may have to reconsider.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:20:55 +0100

> on 2005-12-19 15:18 Harald Tveit Alvestrand said the following:
[...]
>> on my screen won't work....

[...]
> I'll download Opera and check it out, and see if I can understand the problem.

I tried this out, and zooming seems to work as expected for the side-by-side
diffs on the e.g. http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ccamp/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-te-mib/
on OS-X with Opera 8.5.  I'll try this out on Linux and Windows at work,
tomorrow.

	Henrik

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:23:20 +0100

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ccamp/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-te-mib/

Apparently down at the moment.  How about adding tools.ietf.org
to the servers monitored by http://noc.ietf.org/detail.php ?

                            Bye, Frank

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:38:00 +0100

Hi Frank,

on 2005-12-20 05:23 Frank Ellermann said the following:
> Apparently down at the moment. 

Yah.  I was caught by an apache upgrade that didn't go smoothly.
Down between 05:00 and about 09:00 CET.

> How about adding tools.ietf.org

Sounds like a good idea.  Mike, what's needed?  Personally I
run Munin (http://munin.sf.net/) to keep track of my servers
(see e.g. http://www.levkowetz.com/site/stats/munin/levkowetz.com/shiraz.levkowetz.com)

- the ietf noc display seems to be something different.  It would
be trivial to add munin feeds from the tools server to the ietf noc,
for what it's worth, but feeds to the current page might also be
easy.

	Henrik