Subject: [Tools-discuss] chair, AD email addresses

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:24:00 -0800

Hi Tool Teamers-

It would be particularly helpful for the RFC Editor if there was a  
repository containing contact information for working groups.   
Minimally this would be a file mapping working group name to working  
group chair, area director, and mailing list email addresses.  Like so:

wg acronym:
   {wgchair1 email}+
   {area director email}+
   wg-maillist

Optimally, a mapping would be available for each IETF document:

draftstring:
   wgacronym
   wgchair email
   ad email
   wg mail list

This would reduce a fair amount of manual data entry and screen  
scraping in the RFC Editor.

Many thanks,

--aaron
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:17:05 +0100

It seems likely to me that this should be a secretariat
tool, not a community tool. They have all that stuff internally.
The I-D tracker uses some of it already, I believe.

    Brian

Aaron Falk wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:31:06 -0500

> The I-D tracker uses some of it already, I believe.

I agree. What is the mechanism for getting it added to a "todo" or
"wishlist", so that it gets proper consideration?

Thomas

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:32:23 +0100

--On mandag, januar 09, 2006 13:24:00 -0800 Aaron Falk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> repository containing contact information for working groups.   Minimally
> this would be a file mapping working group name to working  group chair,
> area director, and mailing list email addresses.  Like so:
>
> wg acronym:
>    {wgchair1 email}+
>    {area director email}+
>    wg-maillist

if the WG charters were made available in a more parseable format, they 
would fulfil exactly this need.... charter.xml anyone? Or the famed mysql 
dump of the database it's generated from?

> Optimally, a mapping would be available for each IETF document:

don't forget "author/editor email" - that information is useful too.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:53:41 +0100

> "wishlist", so that it gets proper consideration?

Put together a brief spec and ship it to Ray so that it can go into
the tools wish list he has to build for secretariat tool updates.

    Brian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:15:41 +0100

Hi Aaron,

  Sorry for the late reply - but it's maybe a rather good one, on the
other hand:

A lot of what you specify below is already available, re-generated daily,
here:

	http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1wg-summary.txt

What's missing in this file is which AD is the Area Advisor to the WG.
I can probably extract that from the WG charters, resulting in a file
which includes that too, but it would be even better if that information
was generated directly by the secretariat, too.

I'll include the mapping from draft-string to the WG and are information
when I get to the point of setting up individual draft information areas
for all drafts, hopefully during February.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:23:07 +0100

Following up on this, I made a quickie script which brought up some
questions which probably should be covered when requesting something
like this from the IAD, too:

I'm currently updating this when anything changes in the contact
information for WGs:

    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/wg-emails.txt

That file contains the wg tag and contact emails according to your
specification below, with the change that the emails are not listed
in any specific order.  Example:

--------
atompub
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]
--------

Questions:

 * Should both ADs be listed, or only the sheperding AD (the
   Area Advisor for the WG)?

 * Should there be only the email address, or would it be
   acceptable with lines containing both Name and Email, like
   this: 
     Paul Hoffman  <[email-masked]>
     Tim Bray  <[email-masked]>
   (If you're feeding the information into e.g. sendmail, it
   will handle a recipient given as "Paul Hoffman  <[email-masked]>"
   just fine, and receiving a mail with both name and address is
   maybe a bit nicer...)

 * Should the addresses include the addresses of secretaries
   and technical advisors to the WG?  The list I'm currently
   generating does that.

 * Is there any required order in which to list the addresses?
   In the current list, the way I do duplicate email elimination
   results in 'random' ordering of the email addresses.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:04:06 -0800

On Jan 11, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> Following up on this, I made a quickie script

cool!

>    Area Advisor for the WG)?

The RFC Ed procedure is to cc both ADs.

>      Tim Bray  <[email-masked]>

This is fine and a bit easier when you want to confirm who is  
receiving the msg.

>    and technical advisors to the WG?  The list I'm currently

Um.  The RFC Editor generally does not include these other folks on  
email about documents.  I could see cc'ing the wg secretary but I  
think we would rely on the wg chairs forwarding the mail to the  
technical advisors should it be necessary.  If names were associated  
with roles, extranneous information would not be a problem and we  
could use (or not) only the addresses which were appropriate.

>    results in 'random' ordering of the email addresses.

Since many of us wear multiple hats, I think it would be helpful to  
see whether someone is a wg chair, AD, secretary, or other role to  
ensure people understand what is expected of them.  Ordering is not  
important to me if this information is available.

--aaron

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:47:42 +0100

Hi again Aaron,

> The RFC Ed procedure is to cc both ADs.

Ok.

> This is fine and a bit easier when you want to confirm who is  

Right.

> could use (or not) only the addresses which were appropriate.

Ah, ok.  I'll add roles, then.

> important to me if this information is available.

Ok.  I've tweaked things a bit, and would like you to check out
this file:

    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/wg-contacts.txt

Here's an excerpt:

--------
atompub
    Chair(s):
        Paul Hoffman  <[email-masked]>
        Tim Bray  <[email-masked]>
    Applications Area Director(s):
        Ted Hardie  <[email-masked]>
        Scott Hollenbeck  <[email-masked]>
    Applications Area Advisor:
        Scott Hollenbeck  <[email-masked]>
    Secretary(ies):
        Sam Ruby  <[email-masked]>
    List:
        [email-masked]
--------

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:27:04 -0800

>         Sam Ruby  <[email-masked]>

This looks pretty good.  Give us a chance to play with it a bit and  
we'll let you know if we run into any problems.  Of course, XML would  
make it easier to parse but this should be fine.

--aaron

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:23:44 +0200

It might be an idea to include some tags that
indicate the role of the e-mail in question (e.g.,
"list" "chair" "ad" "advisor"). This would allow
automatic retrievial for different purposes.

--Jari

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:26:03 +0200

Never mind. I saw your other e-mail now with the
link that did have that information, too
(http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1wg-summary.txt)
Thanks. Back to your regularly scheduled
tools discussion...

Jari Arkko wrote:

>>   this:     Paul Hoffman  <[email-masked]>
>>>> Minimally this would be a file mapping working group name to 
>>>> working  group chair, area director, and mailing list email 
>>>> addresses.  Like so:
>>>>
>>>> wg acronym:
>>>>   {wgchair1 email}+
>>>>   {area director email}+
>>>>   wg-maillist
>>>>