Subject: [Tools-discuss] Text Format of the Agenda

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:36:19 -0800

If you go to http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-65.html and click on  
"Meeting Agenda", you get a web page whose URL is https:// 
datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_agenda_html.cgi?meeting_num=65.  
At the top of that, there is a link to the "(Text Format of the  
Agenda)", which gets you to https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ 
meeting_agenda_text.cgi?meeting_num=65. If I download that, the file  
is named meeting_agenda_text.cgi.html, and is indeed in html format.  
Near as I can tell the difference between the "text" format and the  
"html" format is that the "text" format has URLs for the working  
group charters but not the agendas.

Am I missing something? Any idea why the "text" file would be in html  
format?

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:03:31 -0800

That might be for some of us, including Eliot Lear, Lars Eggert, and
myself, who use the text as input to software to generate Calendar
entries (Eliod does .ics; I convert them to .vcs, and Lars had a native
.vcs one too).

I.e., the text is de-HTML'd, but still includes body. It would have been
equally useful to have provided an XML of the calendar which could be
converted into whatever desired format (HTML, ics, vcs, etc.), but that
may be a while off.

Joe

Fred Baker wrote:
> "Meeting Agenda", you get a web page whose URL is
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_agenda_html.cgi?meeting_num=65.
> Agenda)", which gets you to
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_agenda_text.cgi?meeting_num=65.
> If I download that, the file is named meeting_agenda_text.cgi.html, and
> is indeed in html format. Near as I can tell the difference between the
> "text" format and the "html" format is that the "text" format has URLs
> for the working group charters but not the agendas.
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:26:21 -0800

I do the same (generate .ics from text), but start from TEXT and  
don't particularly want the markup stuff. I'm going to have to edit  
the TEXT format back to TEXT before feeding it into my TEXT tool.  
When I see something that is marked TEXT, I don't especially expect  
to find HTML -= especially when for the previous month the page has  
been in flat ASCII. I expect to get TEXT.

What's the chance of getting a TEXT file when I download the file  
marked "TEXT file"?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could simply get an RFC 2445-compliant  
calendar up there? Like, maybe we could subscribe to it?

In my dream world, I guess I would like to have a web page that I  
could go to, click on radio dials next to the things I care about,  
and get downloaded to me an RFC 2445 calendar that I can import.

On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFEG0BDE5f5cImnZrsRAsgAAJ41bF2RY2qTAK1yoYuKCwfVt4plMACeNdod
> htoNDG6efOn7x+VbdMRvEpw=
> =OTYt
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:45:14 +0200

If you want pure text, cut & paste from the browser
may work for you... it did work for me. At other
times I have sometimes used an emacs macro to
get rid of html directives...

But yes, if your desired end result is a calendar,
it would be much better to start from a calendar
format.

--Jari

Fred Baker wrote:

> I do the same (generate .ics from text), but start from TEXT and don't
particularly want the markup stuff. I'm going to have to edit the TEXT
format back to TEXT before feeding it into my TEXT tool. When I see
something that is marked TEXT, I don't especially expect to find HTML -=
especially when for the previous month the page has been in flat ASCII.
I expect to get TEXT.
marked "TEXT file"?
>
> In my dream world, I guess I would like to have a web page that I could
go to, click on radio dials next to the things I care about, and get
downloaded to me an RFC 2445 calendar that I can import.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:05:20 -0800

Fred Baker wrote:
> particularly want the markup stuff. 

We want to insert the URLs in the .ics/.vcs entries, which have a
corresponding field for it.

> I'm going to have to edit the TEXT

Agreed - I would expect the URL, but not the HTML markup.

> What's the chance of getting a TEXT file when I download the file marked
> "TEXT file"?
> 

That's what Eliot posts at http://www.ofcourseimright.com/ietf65-draft.ics

I provide a .vcs translation (for Palm users) at:
http://www.ofcourseimright.com/ietf65-draft-palm.vcs

as well as at my tools page (www.isi.edu/touch/tools)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:07:40 +0100

Hmm!!  That's a bit odd.  It's obviously not a straight text file.

The text file agenda is available at http://www.ietf.org/meetings/agenda_65.txt,
but that's not really the point -- a link to a text format agenda should
not give you a differently formatted html format agenda.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:08:34 +0100

Hi Fred,

> and get downloaded to me an RFC 2445 calendar that I can import.

I'm working on this.  Maybe by Sunday.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:34:23 -0600

Hi Fred (and all others on the list :)

I now have a first version of this in place.  There's a new link in the
right-hand menu column of the WG and Agenda pages on tools.ietf.org, e.g.,
  http://www1.tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/
which reads "Calendar" and currently points to
  http://www1.tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/ics/

If you follow this, you'll get a version of the agenda which has a check-
box in front of each session, letting you select which sessions to include
in a calendar file.  Submitting this will return a page with a link to
an iCalendar file which you can download or subscribe to.

	Henrik

on 2006-03-17 19:08 Henrik Levkowetz said the following:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:43:13 -0600

thanks much