Subject: [Tools-discuss] Spell-checking drafts

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 02:43:15 +0200

Hi,

There are a lot of spell-checking programs out there, and for most
uses I'd go with a command-line invocation of ispell or aspell,
which is available not only on *nix but also on windows.

I will however eventually add some spell-checking to the online
version of idnits, and as a first step I've culled an IETF-specific
dictionary from the last 2 years of RFCs, augmented this the surnames
of I-D authors taken from xml2rfc's reference bibliography and finally
added a short manually assembled list of words.

I've also written a web wrapper around aspell, running with this ietf
wordlist, as an early way to so some ID spellchecking:

 	http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idspell/

Testing and comments are welcome.

	Henrik

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:53:24 +0300

Seems to work very well! Surprisingly well,
in fact, considering that you don't seem to
be ignoring "hard" words such as abbreviations.

Great stuff, thanks!

--Jari

P.S. Do we have anything for grammar checking?
("Word" is not an answer I'm looking for.)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:30:49 +0200

Hi Jari,

> be ignoring "hard" words such as abbreviations.

Thanks!

> ("Word" is not an answer I'm looking for.)

Heh :-)

Not yet.  There are some possibilities I know of which I'll look
at integrating once I'm satisfied with the spelling part, and have
hooked that into idnits in a nice manner.

Best,

	Henrik