Subject: [Tools-discuss] agenda calendar request

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:31:00 +0300

Hi,

first off, the iCal feature on http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/ 
calendar is awesome!

Two suggestions that would make it even better:

- use cookies that remember which sessions I ticked, so I can come  
back later and get a new calendar with the same sessions, when the  
agenda is updated

- have "mark all area X sessions", "mark all BOFs", etc, buttons

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:58:47 +0200

Hi,

> first off, the iCal feature on http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/ 

Indeed!

However, there seems to be some issues on
http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/ : the form page looks correct (correct
agenda and so on) but when submitted, the calendar produced (and URL) is
the one for IETF 65th... which one may not notice before importing in
calendar application and looking for the sessions... :)

> back later and get a new calendar with the same sessions, when the  

You can do precisely this by just bookmarking the resulting URL.
(though that won't let you update your list afterwards)

Cheers,

-Thomas

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:42:44 +0200

Hi,

> calendar application and looking for the sessions... :)

Ooops.  I'm taking the link out for now, will look at this later today.

> (though that won't let you update your list afterwards)

Correct.  If you're using iCal for instance, you can subscribe to the
resulting URL, and you'll get the updates automatically.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:50:57 +0300

> resulting URL, and you'll get the updates automatically.

Awesome - thanks for the tip!

(It may be good to put that somewhere on the page.)

Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:22:41 +0300

hiprg (last session) doesn't have a checkbox on http://tools.ietf.org/ 
agenda/66/calendar

Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:26:23 +0300

On Jun 14, 2006, at 19:22, Lars Eggert wrote:
> hiprg (last session) doesn't have a checkbox on http:// 
> tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/calendar

Oh - the other IRTF sessions (nmrg, samrg, mobopts, etc.) don't have  
checkboxes either.

There also seems to be a parser mistake with the PGP signing session.

Lars

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:06:18 +0200

Hi again,

> Oh - the other IRTF sessions (nmrg, samrg, mobopts, etc.) don't have  

Right.

> There also seems to be a parser mistake with the PGP signing session.

Aha.  Hadn't noticed this.  I'll have a look at it.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:05:20 +0200

Hi Lars,

> hiprg (last session) doesn't have a checkbox on http://tools.ietf.org/ 

Right.  (The same is the case with all IRTF groups which are spelled
with uppercase letters in the text version of the agenda, too).

Working on it :-)

	Henrik

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:57:05 -0700

> first off, the iCal feature on http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/ 

Very much so!

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:45:38 +0200

Hi,

I'd be nice if there was a second button that would generate a  
calendar without timezone information.

Also, although this worked last week, I can no longer subscribe to an  
agenda calendar in ical. I *can* download and import it, which makes  
me think it must be pilot error, or our admins have messed with squid  
again...

Here's a URL that gives me this issue: http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/ 
66/ics/ietf-66-offpath+rmt+ternli+tsvwg+tsvwg+nfsv4+behave+fecframe 
+rohc+rohc+nsis+ippm+rserpool+ips+tsvarea+tcpm+nsis+Technical.ics

Lars

---

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:58:51 +0200

Hi,

> +rohc+rohc+nsis+ippm+rserpool+ips+tsvarea+tcpm+nsis+Technical.ics

I also had some strange errors. After digging a bit, it looks like the
first time somebody asks for a calendar wich X and Y groups, a 404 is
returned, but the next time somebody asks for it, it works.

from laptop: wget 'http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/ics/ietf-66-xcon
+speermint+sidr.ics'   => 404 Error
repeat from laptop: wget
'http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/ics/ietf-66-xcon+speermint+sidr.ics'
=> works !
from another machine: wget
'http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/ics/ietf-66-xcon+speermint+sidr.ics'
=> works the first time !

(blind guess: is there some "caching" that wouldn't be fully working
yet ?)

In anycase, this iCalendar feature is a great feature !
Webcal subscription works fine for me from Evolution 2.6 under Linux.

-Thomas

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:15:55 +0200

Hi Lars,

> calendar without timezone information.

Ok.  I'll see if I can arrange that.  I wouldn't bet on it for IETF-66,
though.

> +rohc+rohc+nsis+ippm+rserpool+ips+tsvarea+tcpm+nsis+Technical.ics

Hmm.  I can't reproduce it here - iCal let's me subscribe to that URL.

I've not seen any subscribe problems here; but I have seen refresh
problems, which I suspect may be related to a format problem.  Further
investigation will take place...

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:20:51 +0200

Hi Thomas,

on 2006-06-22 16:58 Thomas Morin said the following:
...
> (blind guess: is there some "caching" that wouldn't be fully working

There obviously is something which isn't working properly.

The way it's supposed to work, there should be a 404 error handling
script which catches the first request and generates the file.  Following
requests should simply retrieve the file.  So from your description it
seems as if the script is triggered, but doesn't return the file it
creates, which it should.  I'll investigate.

> Webcal subscription works fine for me from Evolution 2.6 under Linux.

Ah!  That's good news.  I haven't had the opportunity to test that
myself.  I knew that iCal and Outlook seems to work (with possible
imperfections).

Thanks,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:30:45 +0200

Hi again,

> 'http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/66/ics/ietf-66-xcon+speermint+sidr.ics'

I think I've fixed this now.  Let me know if it still doesn't work for
you on the first access, or you observe further anomalies.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:11:35 +0200

On Jun 22, 2006, at 16:45, Lars Eggert wrote:
> Also, although this worked last week, I can no longer subscribe to  
> an agenda calendar in ical. I *can* download and import it, which  
> makes me think it must be pilot error, or our admins have messed  
> with squid again...

For the record, this turned out to be an issue with the local web cache.

Lars

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:04:21 -0700

Lars Eggert wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> first off, the iCal feature on http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/65/calendar
> is awesome!

Agreed- two comments:

1) there appears to be a bug in the output right now; two of the lines
appear to lack a preceding carriage return:

	END:VTIMEZONEBEGIN:VEVENT
		(line appears once)

	END:VEVENTBEGIN:VEVENT
		(line appears N-1 times for N events)

	END:VEVENTEND:CALENDAR
		(line appears once)

2) the output is currently only in ics format; I wrote a converter
called ics2vcs which it might be useful to either put a link to, or to
add as an click-box (e.g., for Palm desktop output).
http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/#software

Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:59:22 +0200

Hi Joe,

> 		(line appears N-1 times for N events)

Bah. I was tweaking the scripts yesterday evening, and was a bit too
clever at one point.  Should be fixed now.

> http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/#software

Splendid.  I picked it up and slotted it in.  Both .ical and .vcal
files should now be provided.  Importing the .vcal to iCal works
fine, but I notice that time zone information is missing - I saw from
your comment that early PalmPilots didn't support time zone info?

Is it reasonable to add this at this time?

Thanks and regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:12:46 -0700

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
...
> your comment that early PalmPilots didn't support time zone info?

The issue is actually the desktop. Palm 5x OS devices support timezones,
but the desktop doesn't. I haven't figured out how to convert the
timezone block reliably, perhaps for this reason. That's why it's just
deleted in the .vcs output.

> Is it reasonable to add this at this time?

I can take another look at it and see if I can enable it experimentally,
e.g., via a command line switch (after the IETF, though).

Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:17:40 +0200

Hi Joe,

> deleted in the .vcs output.

Aha.  Ok.

> e.g., via a command line switch (after the IETF, though).

Ok, that would be good.  For now I'll serve .ics with (and experimentally
without) timezone information, and .vcs without.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:05:38 -0700

> without) timezone information, and .vcs without.

FWIW, the Palm Desktop officially does not support timezones. Although
.vcs can be used to import data into Outlook, so can .ics. At this
point, I suspect the best thing to do would be to leave timezones out
for the .vcs format, since it's the one needed exclusively for the Palm
desktop.

Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:44:11 +0200

Hi Joe,

on 2006-06-27 23:05 Joe Touch said the following:

...
> for the .vcs format, since it's the one needed exclusively for the Palm

Ok.  Works for me.

Thanks,

	Henrik

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:30:28 +0200

Cancelled sessions are still included in the .ics file if the URL  
includes them.

Lars

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:15:39 +0200

> Cancelled sessions are still included in the .ics file if the URL  

Hmm.  Right.  Ok, I think I know how to fix that.  Let me know if
the next update of your calendars still aren't OK.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:17:23 -0700

The .vcs file looks like it is taking as input the .ics with the
timezone; it needs the .ics without the timezone, and thus no longer works.

I'll update my ics2vcs to strip out that info anyway (since it's not
compatible with the Palm desktop, which is the only thing that needs
.vcs per se anyway), but in the meantime could the backend take the
non-tz ics as input (that should work).

Joe

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:43:26 -0700

> timezone; it needs the .ics without the timezone, and thus no longer works.

Actually, I have no idea what it's taking as input. I'm guessing the
ics2vcs.pl source was modified, since it's outputting stuff that doesn't
match either of the following

	ics2vcs.pl X.ics

	ics2vcs.pl X-notz.ics

Either of the two above generate a .vcs file that works; the current
.vcs does not.

If the page uses my code, please use it unmodified (I can't track bugs
otherwise); that should suffice anyway.

Joe

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:40:55 +0200

Hi Joe,

> otherwise); that should suffice anyway.

Sorry, this is my fault.  I moved the timezone information stripping
to a separate step in the sequence of producing calendar files with/
without timezone info, but didn't think of this aspect of things.  I've
reverted your code to pristine state, and use different code paths for
.ics files with/without timezone information and the .vcs file now.

(I've also discovered why my refactoring didn't produce the expected
 results, and know how to fix that, but that doesn't change the
 validity of your argument regarding tracking bugs for your code,
 so I won't go that path.)

	Henrik

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:15:44 -0700

>  so I won't go that path.)

Thanks - I don't mind mods, but it would be useful to add a flag or
modify the header version number if so (e.g., append 'a','b',...),
though I'd prefer to coordinate the needed mods into the ics2vcs.pl
source most should would probably be generally useful anyway. ;-)

Thanks for the quick update!

Joe