Subject: [Tools-discuss] iCal calendar for IETF meetings

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:14:21 -0400

Henrik:

You said something Wednesday evening to the effect that you didn't  
know what opinions were regarding the calendar tool. I for one used  
it and found it useful.

My complaints with the tool are in fact iCal complaints, not tool  
complaints.

(1) This morning, I unsubscribed from the IETF 66 calendar and tried  
to subscribe to the IETF 67 calendar using the URL

http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/67/ics/ietf-66+ieprep+nmrg+tsvwg+opsarea 
+v6ops+ospf+IETF+tsvarea+tcpm+Technical.ics

(e.g., "please update my calendar with those WGs and RGs that I know  
right now I will be interested in next time"). iCal said I had to  
wait until there was a published agenda... :-)

(2) It would be nice if the URL given to iCal was a little more  
editable. As it is, I can unsubscribe from the calendar and re- 
subscribe using a new URL. And it would be nice to somehow say "all  
BOFs" without listing each of them individually.

Personally, I would suggest you consider the present tool a mostly- 
finished product.

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:09:20 -0400

> wait until there was a published agenda... :-)

Heh :-}

> BOFs" without listing each of them individually.

Aha. Ok, I'll think about making some sort of collective names
available.

> Personally, I would suggest you consider the present tool a mostly- 

Ok, thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:59:34 -0700

I used the tool, found it very useful, and had no problems - many  
thanks.

I don't know if others would like this but for me, being able to say  
add all WG in a given area would be useful. This would be icing on  
the cake and and I find the tool totally useable without this.

As a super bonus, if the tool took all the agendas for the meetings I  
selected, pulled out anything that looked like draft-* and put all  
those names into a file that was my "reading list", that would be  
great. Since everyone likes to print in different ways, I would find  
the list of file names more useful than a PDF of the drafts.

On Jul 14, 2006, at 4:14 AM, Fred Baker wrote:

> (1) This morning, I unsubscribed from the IETF 66 calendar and  
> tried to subscribe to the IETF 67 calendar using the URL
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/67/ics/ietf-66+ieprep+nmrg+tsvwg 
> +opsarea+v6ops+ospf+IETF+tsvarea+tcpm+Technical.ics
>
> (e.g., "please update my calendar with those WGs and RGs that I  
> know right now I will be interested in next time"). iCal said I had  
> to wait until there was a published agenda... :-)
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:25:13 -0500

I will chime in with a "me too"  and a couple of observations of the  
things that made the current version
particularly useful to me (I will be sad if this tool goes away):

There were two primary use cases I exercised with this tool
    1) Planning for the meeting: Having the imbedded links to each  
session's agenda is extremely useful.
         Having links to the drafts as Cullen suggest would make it  
even better (I think a working link to the .txt
         would be more useful than just the names of the drafts).
    2) Navigation at the meeting itself: Having the accurate room  
information on the subject line (so that it shows
         up in the summary presented on most of the PDAs you might  
sync a calendar to) was a huge time and
         confusion saver for me and several people I talked to.  
Please guard this particular feature aggressively.

For future icing, I might also suggest poking at a way to get the app  
to remember the groups I selected at the
last meeting and start with those selected next time around (maybe  
getting the tool to mail a link or just a chunk
of text along with the generated calendar that can be optionally fed  
into the processing for the next meeting).

Thanks for the effort that's going into this,

RjS

On Jul 23, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I don't know if others would like this but for me, being able to  
> say add all WG in a given area would be useful. This would be icing  
> on the cake and and I find the tool totally useable without this.
>
> As a super bonus, if the tool took all the agendas for the meetings  
> I selected, pulled out anything that looked like draft-* and put  
> all those names into a file that was my "reading list", that would  
> be great. Since everyone likes to print in different ways, I would  
> find the list of file names more useful than a PDF of the drafts.
>
>
>> know what opinions were regarding the calendar tool. I for one  
>> used it and found it useful.
>>
>> know right now I will be interested in next time"). iCal said I  
>> had to wait until there was a published agenda... :-)
>>
>> subscribe using a new URL. And it would be nice to somehow say  
>> "all BOFs" without listing each of them individually.
>>

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:07:22 +0200

Hi Robert,

> particularly useful to me (I will be sad if this tool goes away):

Oh, it should stay, definitely.

>          would be more useful than just the names of the drafts).

Ok.

> Please guard this particular feature aggressively.

Ok :-)

> into the processing for the next meeting).

Yes, I've already had thoughts in this direction.  It may show up
in the next revision.

> Thanks for the effort that's going into this,

Good to hear that it's useful :-)

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:10:16 +0200

Hi Cullen,

> the cake and and I find the tool totally useable without this.

This should be possible.  I'll note it down as a feature for the next
revision.

> the list of file names more useful than a PDF of the drafts.

Ok.  Should also be possible.  So you'd prefer a file of draft names,
rather than a web page with names and links, or a tarball with the
drafts?

Regards,

	Henrik