Subject: [Tools-discuss] Help the aged!

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:50:27 +0100

Hi.

Hitting the 'links' for selecting drafts for wgs and authors with a 
particular initial letter (on 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/idindex.cgi) requires a degree of 
manual dexterity that I find a tiny bit difficult after a couple of 
beers now I am turning into an old fogey.

Without taking up significantly more screen real estate can I suggest 
either using . 
A|B|C|D|E... (as per the watersprings interface - 
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/)
or
A B C D E...

This gives about 15-20% more dither room for the positionally challenged 
as compared with
a b c d e
as we have today.

FWIW I find it a lot easier to zero in on the upper case version for 
some reason (this may be at least partially a psychological effect 
because the upper case letters have a more even body width and the 
outlines tend to enclose more of the 'active' space whereas the outlines 
of the lower case letters only occupy a smaller proportion of the space 
as well as having narrower bodies  leading to them being kerned more 
closely together - I guess one naturally tries to click on the 'middle' 
of the outline).

/Elwyn

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:37:57 +0200

Hi Elwyn,

  (adding a Cc. to Michael as this is his bailiwick)

> http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/)

This variation would seem to be the most preferred for me.

> closely together - I guess one naturally tries to click on the 'middle' 

Yup.

One more thing: An additional way of approaching this is to use Firefox'
Command-+ (or Control-+) to enlarge the text so it feels more comfortable
for navigation.  But I still think it makes sense to go with uppercase
letters.

	Henrik