Subject: [Tools-discuss] Document Map

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:20:05 +0200

Hi,

Julian Reschke just pointed me to a Firefox plugin and suggested
some enhancements to the rfcmarkup scripts which together gives a
result which strikes me as very cool :-) :

The plugin is "Document Map" (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/475/),
and it provides the possibility of showing a document's structure of
section headers and sub-headers in Firefox' sidebar, for easy
navigation of a large document.

One of the enhancements suggested by Julian was to add section header
tags to the htmlized version of RFCs produced by rfcmarkup, so that
the structure of the document will be visible and navigable in the
sidebar.

I've just added this, and I'm really really happy with the result -
having a sidebar showing the structure of sections and sub-sections
of a document, and being able to expand and collapse the structure
and click on a section name to navigate to it I find really really
cool :-)

If you want to try it out, get the plugin, restart your browser, and go
to your RFC of choice, for instance http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2460

Thanks, Julian!

Regards,

	Henrik

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:16:40 +0100

Yes! Nice one.

Do we know what triggers the expand/contract icon for revealing/hiding 
sub-sections?
The sample htmlized text does it but the standard html output from 
xml2rfc doesn't.
There doesn't seem to be much uin the way of documentation.. but I could 
always go and knock on Mr Grahams door I suppose!

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:28:34 +0200

> Do we know what triggers the expand/contract icon for revealing/hiding 

As far as I can tell, this is triggered by the existence of sub-section
header tags - if top level sections are marked with <h1/>, and there are
nested <h2/> with nested <h3/>, you'll have 2 expandable levels.

> The sample htmlized text does it but the standard html output from 

Aha. I haven't checked whether the html output from xml2rfc use nested
<h?/> tags.  If it does, my theory above breaks down.

> always go and knock on Mr Grahams door I suppose!

Right ;-)

Best,
	
	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:47:00 +0200

Henrik Levkowetz schrieb:
> ...

As far as I can tell, xml2rfc fails to use the proper h? element, that 
is, all heading use the same HTML element. This seems to be a bug, AFAIR 
earlier version did work better (although they did not use anything 
"above" h3).

You may want to try it with the output of rfc2629.xslt 
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt.zip>) instead.

> ...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:52:18 +0300

> As far as I can tell, xml2rfc fails to use the proper h? element,  
> that is, all heading use the same HTML element. This seems to be a  
> bug, AFAIR earlier version did work better (although they did not  
> use anything "above" h3).

julian - specifically, what change do you want the html generator for  
xml2rfc?

/mtr

ps: it won't make it into 1.31 that is coming out on monday, but it  
will make it in to 1.32pre1

/mtr

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:17:47 +0200

Marshall Rose schrieb:
>> is, all heading use the same HTML element. This seems to be a bug, 
>> AFAIR earlier version did work better (although they did not use 
>> anything "above" h3).
> 

It should use header elements that fit the section nesting. Right now it 
always seems to use <h3>.

Best regards, Julian