Subject: [Tools-discuss] Draft dependency graph / tool

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:29:27 +0200

Hi, there might be an oddity with the I-D dependency graphs:

Trying to cleanup some old drafts I found a match from old name
to new name for most EAI drafts.  With the I-D dependency graph
I could verify this.  After some time I ended up with one "old"
(2006-02-26) unmatched draft-klensin-ima-constraints-00

It's referenced as [I18Nemail-constraints] in the EAI framework
draft (draft-ietf-eai-framework-01).  Apparently the dependency
graph doesn't display this reference.

Another point, the graph shows draft-klensin-net-utf8 in state
"IESG or RFC Queue".  Came as a shock for me, I thought that's
rather new, and sent some questions about it to the author only
a few days ago.

After some time with the help of the draft tracker I found that
it's "only" in state "publication requested", and I didn't miss
a last call or worse.  How about a direct link from "rfcmarkup"
to the draft tracker for known drafts ?

The pidtracker.cgi URL is huge, but it's possible to reduce it
to some constant query ending with (in this case)
&search_filename=draft-klensin-net-utf8

Bye, Frank

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:21:11 +0200

Hi Frank,

> graph doesn't display this reference.

Bill is the dependency-graphs' creator, and can answer this more
fully, but as far as I know, the tool that creates these graphs
looks for recognizable document tags (rfcNNNN, draft-xxxx etc.)
in the references section, and uses that information.  This means
that a reference by draft name only, which is the case for the
[I18Nemail-constraints] reference, it won't catch it...

> to the draft tracker for known drafts ?

I'm working on something that I hope will come close -- there's
now a [Plain text] link on top of the rfcmarkup generated pages,
and I plan to add a [More info] link, too, which will lead to
a page similar to the wg status pages, which will (try to) list
all available information for the document.  These pages will
be available for all drafts, not only WG drafts, and will include
the tracker status and a link to detailed tracker information for
the document.

> &search_filename=draft-klensin-net-utf8

Yup.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:37:19 +0200

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

 [I18Nemail-constraints]
> as far as I know, the tool that creates these graphs looks
> for recognizable document tags (rfcNNNN, draft-xxxx etc.)
> in the references section, and uses that information.

Yes, that's plausible, it needs some way to skip stuff which
is NOT a missing draft, but a W3C / ISO / Unicode / whatever
reference.

> there's now a [Plain text] link on top of the rfcmarkup
> generated pages, and I plan to add a [More info] link, too,
> which will lead to a page similar to the wg status pages,
> which will (try to) list all available information for the
> document.  These pages will be available for all drafts, not
> only WG drafts, and will include the tracker status and a
> link to detailed tracker information for the document.

Sounds great.  You could integrate the "plain text" link into
"more info", then you're sure that the latter is never empty.
For old browsers like my "mozilla 3".  For popular browsers a
<link rel ="alternate" href=".../id/..." type="text/plain" />
might also work, I can't tell.

Bye, Frank