Subject: [Tools-discuss] pinging "discuss" ADs

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:19:00 +0800

two comments on the ID tracker here.

(1) The ADs apparently have a clear view of the current ballot for a  
document. The public view does not, however, and as a "shepherd" I  
find it pretty painful to figure out who has an outstanding "discuss"  
against a document. It would be very nice if the public view listed  
the current ballot state.

(2) It would also be nice if when a new ID is posted updating a  
document in review by the IESG, a tickler was automatically sent to  
the ADs that hold "discuss" ballots. As a "shepherd", I can and do do  
that, but see previous comment. It seems to me that the tool should  
be able to infer that when the new ID goes in the authors think they  
have dealt with all issues and are looking for further feedback.

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:21:19 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Fred Baker wrote:
> find it pretty painful to figure out who has an outstanding 
> "discuss" against a document. It would be very nice if the public 
> view listed the current ballot state.

It does (at least I think so) but it may be a bit tricky to find.  For 
example this is how I do it:

1) Point the web browser to datatracker.ietf.org
2) Enter a search term for a document or a set of docs
3) Click 'detail' on a selected one.
4a) From the comment log, you can see the recent changes.
4b) From 'IESG evaluation record' you can see the current status. "." 
under Discuss means it has had a discuss, but it has moved to some 
other state (where the 'X' is at the moment).

>From there you can also see the RFC editor notes, IESG notes, etc. -- 
i.e., the RFC approval message that will be sent to the IETF-announce 
list.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a direct link to the IESG evaluation 
record from 3).

> (2) It would also be nice if when a new ID is posted updating a document in 
> review by the IESG, a tickler was automatically sent to the ADs that hold 
> "discuss" ballots. As a "shepherd", I can and do do that, but see previous 
> comment. It seems to me that the tool should be able to infer that when the 
> new ID goes in the authors think they have dealt with all issues and are 
> looking for further feedback.

I agree with you here, but note that a new I-D does not _necessarily_ 
always incorporate all the comments to the satisfaction of the 
shepherd and in some cases, not even from the authors' point of view 
-- if they want to address easy ones first and defer more difficult 
ones to, e.g., after an IETF meeting.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:36:35 +0200

Fred Baker wrote:
> document. The public view does not, however, and as a "shepherd" I  find 
> it pretty painful to figure out who has an outstanding "discuss"  
> against a document. It would be very nice if the public view listed  the 
> current ballot state.

I don't know how frequently it's updated, but it is visible.
Go to the Detail View page for a draft, e.g.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=13036&rfc_flag=0

and click on IESG Evaluation Record.

I agree it could be better presented.

> document in review by the IESG, a tickler was automatically sent to  the 
> ADs that hold "discuss" ballots. 

That is exactly what happens. We get a "new version" notification.
Whether we react promptly is of course another matter :-(

     Brian