Subject: [Tools-discuss] new tool: rfc-what-i-mean

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:41:56 -0800

Hi, all,

I was recently reviewing a number of documents that had long lists of
RFCs, and noticed that some were obsoleted, while others' updates were
not included.

I've written a tool, called 'rfc-what-i-mean' (see what I mean? ;-),
that does the following:

	input:	arbitrary text with RFCs inside of the form
	/(rfc|Rfc|RFC)(\-)?\d+/, and spits out two lists:

	1) for each RFC that has updates or is obsoleted,
	   lists the correct set to cite

	2) does a "sort -u" on the total set of RFCs cited, so
	   that using the final list should be "what you meant"

The tool is available at www.isi.edu/touch/tools in perl, and that page
includes a web interface that, given a text input, outputs "what you meant".

Feel free to link it off the tools page if desired.

FYI.

Joe

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:34:15 -0800

Hi Joe,

Nice one :-)

I've added a link here:
  http://www1.tools.ietf.org/inventory/author-tools

I'm also tempted to at some point adding equivalent functionality
to idnits, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon...

Regards,

	Henrik

on 2006-11-03 07:41 Joe Touch said the following:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:14:06 -0800

> to idnits, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon...

I want to do the same for drafts, but that'll take time as well.

Joe

-- 
----------------------------------------
Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment