Subject: [Tools-discuss] Enhancements to HTMLized versions of RFCs and drafts

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:43:34 +0100

Hi,

I've added some new features to the HTMLized versions of RFCs and drafts
available at http://tools.ietf.org/html/, as follows:

  * The information regarding 'Updated by:' and 'Obsoleted by:' which is
    added at the top of the HTMLized version is now more complete and
    more compact, following the same style as 'Updates:' and 'Obsoletes:'
    annotations have.

  * For RFCs, I'm now flushing the cached HTMLized version every time a
    new RFC comes out which updates or obsoletes the RFC.  Previously,
    it could take up to 30 days before the cached version was removed.

  * On request, I've added an indication of the standards level of an RFC
    at the top of the HTMLized version; it will now say "DRAFT STANDARD",
    "PROPOSED STANDARD" or "STANDARD" according to what's indicated in
    the latest rfc-index from rfc-editor.org.

  * For RFCs with references to drafts, which are simply indicated with
    a title and the annotation 'Work in Progress', I've added a link to
    a Google search for drafts containing the exact title, so that it is
    easier to find the referenced draft.

  * To handle the case where a referenced draft has subsequently become
    an RFC, I've added an annotation to all HTMLized draft pages which
    provides links to the versions available, including a link to the
    resulting RFC.

  * Some people have asked for the ability to get diffs between draft
    versions also for non-WG drafts; the list of versions combined with
    links to two different diff formats at the top of each HTMLized
    version of a draft should provide this (in a somewhat crude way).

  * I've added a link from HTMLized RFCs back to the draft from which
    they came. (In some cases, especially for early RFCs, the links are
    broken because I don't have a copy of the early drafts.)

  * Added the string identified as the RFC or draft title as <title/>
    in the HTML, resulting in the title being shown in the browser tab
    or titlebar.  (Because of the large variation in draft formats, the
    heuristics used to find the title doesn't always work for drafts,
    though.)  This should also gradually make the Google searches for
    'Work in Progress' references more reliable, as Google updates their
    index.

Some examples showing most of the new features:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2327 (updated, obsoleted, status, errata)
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6 (versions, rfc#)
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3127 (many 'Work in Progress' refs)

If you note misfeatures or bugs in the above, or have comments or 
proposals for improvements, please let me know.

	Henrik

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:42:32 +0100

> I've added some new features to the HTMLized versions of RFCs and drafts

Great.

> I've added an indication of the standards level of an RFC at the top of
> the HTMLized version; it will now say "DRAFT STANDARD", "PROPOSED 
> STANDARD" or "STANDARD" according to what's indicated in the latest 
> rfc-index from rfc-editor.org.

Test, RFC 821 (STD 10) doesn't say STANDARD.  For 1123 (STD 3) it works.

> I've added a link to a Google search for drafts containing the exact
> title, so that it is  easier to find the referenced draft.

That doesn't work, you have spaces in the URLs, you need %20.  Example:

.../search?sitesearch=tools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2F&q=inurl:draft-+"COPS Over CMS"

Probably you want the following, not limited to tools.ietf.org/html/,
and using the "IETF search" feature as on the main www.IETF.org page:

http://www.google.com/u/ietf?q=inurl:draft-+"COPS%20Over%20CMS"

If you're sure that you want to limit it to tools.ietf.org/html/ it's...

http://www.google.com/u/ietf?q=inurl:tools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-+"COPS%20Over%20CMS

...but that doesn't find anything at the moment, probably there's no
such draft, or googlebot has not yet found it.

The .../u/ietf?q=... part returns search results without Ads, compare
https://services.google.com/pss_faq.html#11

The folks who customized the IETF search "look and feel" forgot to add
the IETF logo.  That's sad if it's the same idea as for the old free
site search, because it might offer a back link to www.ietf.org, like
my "logo" on http://purl.net/xyzzy/-AWFID/99%2520inches%2520in%2520rods

Frank

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:31:55 +0100

Hi Frank,

> Test, RFC 821 (STD 10) doesn't say STANDARD.  For 1123 (STD 3) it works.

Ah. For most of the information (updated, obsoleted, draft source, etc.)
I had generated the information both for the 0XXX and XXX versions, but
for the status information I'd missed that, so all standard track RFCs
below 1000 were broken.  Fixed now.

> .../search?sitesearch=tools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2F&q=inurl:draft-+"COPS Over CMS"

Ah.  Works in my browser, but then the browser is being nice to me,
I guess.

> http://www.google.com/u/ietf?q=inurl:tools.ietf.org%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-+"COPS%20Over%20CMS

Right.  I believe that for space in particular I can also use '+'. If
so, it's now fixed.

> such draft, or googlebot has not yet found it.

Right.  Yes, for this purpose I want to limit it to tools.ietf.org/html,
as that should work particularly well once the titles are being picked
up.  Of course, it's still the case that not all old drafts are in the
repository.

> my "logo" on http://purl.net/xyzzy/-AWFID/99%2520inches%2520in%2520rods

Right.

I may set up a tools.ietf.org specific PSS search in the future, and
then I'll keep this in mind for the configuration.

Thanks,

	Henrik