Subject: [Tools-discuss] any palm hackers out there?

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:40:20 -0400

It's been suggested that there be a downloadable version of the venue
maps that we've been providing the last couple of IETFs. I'm interested
in pursuing this further, and think the first version should be a palm
application. But, I have limited experience writing palm programs.

Is there anyone who would be willing to help out in such an effort?

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:47:04 -0700

> application. But, I have limited experience writing palm programs.

Why not just post a PDF? There's a viewer for the Palm.

Joe

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:57:41 -0400

Just converting from PNG to PDF isn't sufficient as the words on it are
not readable.

Would Acrobat Reader easily allow interactivity for a PDF version of a
venue map?

BTW, viewing the web page via the web works just fine for me. And people
could easily download just the web page for viewing offline.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:54:33 -0700

> Just converting from PNG to PDF isn't sufficient as the words on it are

They should be if they are in the PNG; alternately, the PDF could be
created from the same source.

> Would Acrobat Reader easily allow interactivity for a PDF version of a

Zoom, pan, sure. I don't know what more interactivity is needed in a
map. Too many Palm apps are written when a data file to an existing app
would suffice. Here's an alternative to PDF:

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9825234/mapview/index.html

> could easily download just the web page for viewing offline.

That's not as direct on a Palm; not all Palms have web viewers.

Joe

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:29:07 -0400

I think we're having a serious disconnect here.

My take is that people want a "room finder", not a "map".

Yes, acrobat offers zoom and pan. And if you have sufficient detail
within the map, you can zoom around and pan around a map. That's all
fine and dandy if you know where you want to go and need to know how to
navigate there.

But it doesn't help you quickly *find* a given room. And I agree with
the people asking that that's where a small app *could* be beneficial.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]