Subject: [Tools-discuss] ID-Nits downref warnings

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:21:07 +0200

Hi,

now that ID-Nits checks references for downrefs, would it make sense to 
collect information about non-IETF specs that can be safely referenced 
from standards tracks specs?

For instance, it really makes little sense to warn about a reference to 
REC-XML, right?

Best regards, Julian

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:09:58 +0200

Hi Julian,

> For instance, it really makes little sense to warn about a reference to 

Makes sense to me.  I'm already using information from

  http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DownrefRegistry

in idnits -- this page gives both known non-standard documents which
should not be flagged, and a rationale for when documents should be
added to the list.

If somebody would collect appropriate additional documents for this
list, I'd hope that we could get one of the people with write access
(the IESG members) to add the relevant information there, and I'd
also update idnits to know about the documents in question.

One slightly sticky point is maybe to identify the unique canonical
identifier for non-RFC documents, something that idnits could reliably
recognize -- I'll leave that for people with the appropriate domain
knowledge...

	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:20:36 +0200

> should not be flagged, and a rationale for when documents should be

Great. I didn't know (or forgot) about that one.

> recognize -- I'll leave that for people with the appropriate domain

I guess we should standardize the format for the RCF2629 "seriesInfo" 
element. For instance, 
<http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml4/reference.W3C.REC-xml-20060816.xml> 
uses:

  <seriesInfo name="World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation" 
value="REC-xml-20060816"/>

which i think is still too verbose;

  <seriesInfo name="World Wide Web Consortium"  value="REC-xml-20060816"/>

or even

  <seriesInfo name="W3C"  value="REC-xml-20060816"/>

should be sufficient (the current format on xml.resource.org duplicates 
the "REC" state both in the name and the value field, that's my main gripe).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:59:57 +0200

> also update idnits to know about the documents in question.

I think Bill and I still have write access to that wiki for another
couple of months, but I'd want the IESG to approve (which should
be a no-brainer IMNSHO).

    Brian

-- 
NEW: Preferred email for non-IBM matters: [email-masked]