Subject: [Tools-discuss] Thoughts on an "expert review" tracker

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:33:37 -0500

Hi again. Sam's message on ietf-general a few weeks ago about a 
mailing list being too heavy-weight for expert review struck a chord. 
Here is a quick proposal.

- The tools team creates a tracker for all expert reviews

- Each registry for which there is an expert review has a section in 
that tracker

- When the expert gets a request, they put the request in the tracker

- When the expert acts on a request, they update the request's entry

- People can follow all sections, or just individual sections, with 
an Atom feed

- No outside comments in the tracker; it is just for telling 
interested folks what is going on, and to show when things happened

Hope this isn't too heavy-weight. The Atom feed in particular would 
help a bunch of us who have documents with experts where there is 
only a bit of traffic.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:53:21 -0500

Hi,

> - The tools team creates a tracker for all expert reviews

Syncronicity.

As it happens, I got a request for a way to support review handling
for an area directorate earlier this week, with the added specification
that the particular requirements and tools support considered for the
GenArt review team wasn't quite what was needed and wanted.

After some discussion it seemed that Trac's issue tracker, possibly
enhanced by a plugin for some special support functions, would work
just fine.

Since each area already has a Trac instance (although they are not
widely known and used yet) it was dead easy to point to that.

> - Each registry for which there is an expert review has a section in 

Would this be orthogonal to area review teams, or overlapping?

> - People can follow all sections, or just individual sections, with 

Right.  The current Trac feed is RSS, but I think we can easily fix
that.

> help a bunch of us who have documents with experts where there is 

Given the syncronicity noted above, I think this is a good track to
explore.

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:18:32 -0700

>Would this be orthogonal to area review teams, or overlapping?

Orthogonal. Expert review is for IANA registries, which is unrelated 
to area review teams.

>Right.  The current Trac feed is RSS, but I think we can easily fix

Dogfood. Let's eat our own dogfood.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:21:09 +0800

I would like to have a general "review tracker" usable by the WGs. In  
the WGs, it would be nice if folks making specific comments on a  
draft could log them and the author could log his response. Not that  
every one would get "updated in version 12", but we would have a  
record of the discussion.

On Jul 28, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> mailing list being too heavy-weight for expert review struck a  
> chord. Here is a quick proposal.
>
> - Each registry for which there is an expert review has a section  
> in that tracker
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:14:05 -0700

Please note that these are orthogonal requests. When I was asking for 
a tracker for "expert reviews", I was talking about experts in the 
IANA sense, people who are gateways to (some) IANA registries.

--Paul Hoffman

At 4:21 PM +0800 7/31/07, Fred Baker wrote:
>I would like to have a general "review tracker" usable by the WGs. 
>In the WGs, it would be nice if folks making specific comments on a