Subject: [Tools-discuss] IMAP server for the archives

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:46:58 -0500

Hi folks,

What are odds you all could point an IMAP server at the mailing list 
archives <ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/> so we could access 
those mbox files via IMAP?

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:33:22 +0200

Hi Pete,

(Cc:ing Michael and Scott)

> those mbox files via IMAP?

This isn't something I can easily do right away on the tools servers;
it would involve importing the mail archives and preferably normalize
them to have consistent URLs and file paths, and then checking up on
the memory consumption and performance of the available IMAP servers
to see that it would work on one of the tools servers.

I don't know if it would be easy to do this at the NSS end, where
there is (I think?) already at least one box dedicated to mail...

Michael, Scott - is this something that could be set up easily?

	Henrik

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:33:16 -0400

> Michael, Scott - is this something that could be set up easily?

Easily?  Not really.  Are there public-only imap servers out there?
How does the MUA handle what has been read and not read?  With Henrik
there would have to be quite a bit of investigation before offering
this service.

Pete, are there other public services that provide this sort of
feature?

It seems like the alternative is implementing RSS feeds for the
mailing lists.  They are available at gmane

  http://rss.gmane.org/messages/complete/gmane.ietf.announce

and I think that is also on From [email-masked] Thu Aug 09 11:14:04 2007
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:33:16 -0400
To: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] IMAP server for the archives
From: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>, "Lee,
	Michael" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
	[email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

 > Michael, Scott - is this something that could be set up easily?

Easily?  Not really.  Are there public-only imap servers out there?
How does the MUA handle what has been read and not read?  With Henrik
there would have to be quite a bit of investigation before offering
this service.

Pete, are there other public services that provide this sort of
feature?

It seems like the alternative is implementing RSS feeds for the
mailing lists.  They are available at gmane

  http://rss.gmane.org/messages/complete/gmane.ietf.announce

and I think that is also on our hitlist.

-- 
sb. Scott Blomquist for [email-masked]