Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'The Archived-At Message Header Field' to Proposed Standard

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:49:38 -0400

>It would be grand if the ietf-general and ietf-announce mailing lists 
>could start supporting this new standard as soon as possible. (Heck, 
>it would be great if all lists housed at the IETF did!)

AFAIK, the current method of generating archives is to have an
archive-generator subscribed to the mailing list; obviously,
Archived-At is difficult to implement in this setting.

I agree that it would be excellent to support Archived-At, but
just warning that it may require a wholesale overhaul of the
message archival system to integrate it into the message
forwarding process so that the URL can be generated at the
right time.

  Bill

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 01:56:06 +0200

> forwarding process so that the URL can be generated at the

Well, you don't necessarily need to have the archival system generate
the URL for inclusion in the message if the URL can be deterministically
generated based on the message headers and a fixed URL prefix at any time.

I do however agree that some overhaul of the archiving system would be
needed in order to achieve that; but it's less of a change than having
to change things so the archiving is done earlier in the chain.

	Henrik

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:04:34 -0400

>generated based on the message headers and a fixed URL prefix at any time.

Indeed, Paul and I were discussing the idea of having Mailman insert
the Archived-At: header with some value derived from, e.g., the Message-ID,
then MHOnArc populate a database mapping Archived-At: values to archived
filenames, and serving redirects from the Archived-At URLs to the
actual resulting files.

(I think this can be done with an entry in the mailman pipeline to add
the header and a callback in the mhonarc run to populate the database.)

  Bill

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:38:15 +0200

> filenames, and serving redirects from the Archived-At URLs to the

Yes.  Or simply archive the message under the Archived-At: URL directly,
if it's put together appropriately.

> the header and a callback in the mhonarc run to populate the database.)

(A detail here is that I think Mailman doesn't use mhonarc, but modified
code from a different archiver, but the principle is of course the same.
Or maybe the IETF setup isn't standard Mailman.  Anyway, it should work.)

	Henrik

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:26:52 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 08:04:34PM -0400,
 Bill Fenner <[email-masked]> wrote 

> the Archived-At: header with some value derived from, e.g., the

Yes, but be careful of the security issues first (section 3.2 of the
future RFC).