Subject: [Tools-discuss] Re: Protocol Action: 'The Archived-At Message Header Field' to Proposed Standard

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:42:21 +0100

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> It would be grand if the ietf-general and ietf-announce mailing lists 
> could start supporting this new standard as soon as possible. (Heck, 
> it would be great if all lists housed at the IETF did!)

>From my POV all lists (excl. RFCI and some Google groups) I care about
have an Archived-At header field inserted by news://news.gmane.org,
e.g. your article...
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tools/742/raw>
...was archived at:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tools/742>

That roughly corresponds to Xref: news.gmane.org gmane.ietf.tools:742
or (untested nntp URL) <nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tools/742>.

As noted in the Archived-At RFC and the various news-nntp-uri I-Ds
URLs based on Message-IDs are better.  For your article here it would
be <news://news.gmane.org/p0624081dc30b8699bf9b@%5B10.20.30.108%5D>
or <http://mid.gmane.org/p0624081dc30b8699bf9b@%5B10.20.30.108%5D>.

In theory mailing lists could predict Message-Id URIs and insert them
in Archived-At header fields.  It won't work as expected if GMaNe does
not accept an article because it's spam, or if the article never makes
it from the list to GMaNe for other reasons.  And if an article is
posted on more than one list carried by GMaNe the "guessed" URL might
point to a clone of the original article (different lists doing weird
things with the body etc., and sometimes GMaNe is forced to modify
the Message-Id of mutilated X-posts).

 Frank

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:13:45 +0100

[...]
> URLs based on Message-IDs are better.

I've updated this I-D, and posted it with the I-D submission tool.
Two questions about this tool:

1: What's the point of uploading the XML source ?  The announce mail
   <http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]>
   doesn't mention it.

2: The "abstract" in the announce mail contains an "editorial note"
   below the real "abstract", is that a feature or a bug ?

 Frank