Subject: [Tools-discuss] ietf tools use on locally-cached data?

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:29:28 -0800

So I find it Pretty Useful to have tools that operate on my local rsync'd cache
of RFCs and Internet-Drafts, e.g. when I'm on a plane (to an IETF meeting).

AFAICT all the IETF tools work is web-based and operates on remotely-cached
data, yes?

<ThinkingOutLoud>

I suppose one can run a local apache instance and install some/most/all the
tools you folks have made available, but I also find command line tools also 
useful.

e.g. I have one (written in Perl) that prints a report on latest-rev I-Ds per a
wildcarded-filename, using raw .txt internet-drafts as the database. Below's
the output on "*atompub*" fyi.

But https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/ provides nearly the same info, so I am
(sorta) contemplating about just running the code behind
datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/ locally.

Tho it's worth noting that datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/ doesn't differentiate
between "truly EXPIRED I-Ds (i.e. tombstone is present)" and "EXPIRED but not
deleted I-Ds", which is a common situation.

Also, I have some thoughts about hacking up some tools to make it more 
convenient to browse RFCs & I-Ds in tabs in Firefox (which is what I presently 
use), in conjunction with the SessionSaver extension (i need to play with FF3 
to see whether they have any new tab/session functionality in there that'll be 
helpful).

So I wonder about porting some of your server-side tools, eg the 
html-generation and datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/ to Google Gears, because then 
they'd ostensibly automagically work whether one is on- or off-line.

</ThinkingOutLoud>

=JeffH

> lsidlatest "*atompub*" -v

26 total latest-rev files found for filespec: *atompub* :

5 IDs published as RFCs...

draft-ietf-atompub-format-12    -> RFC 4287
draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-18  -> RFC 5023
draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-12        -> RFC 5005
draft-snell-atompub-feed-license-12     -> RFC 4946
draft-snell-atompub-feed-thread-13      -> RFC 4685

1 replaced I-Ds found...

draft-ietf-atompub-autodiscovery-02     -> draft-snell-atompub-autodiscovery-00.txt

3 truly current I-Ds found...

draft-saintandre-atompub-notify-06
draft-snell-atompub-bidi-05
draft-snell-atompub-feature-12

13 EXPIRED but not deleted I-Ds found...

draft-sayre-atompub-protocol-basic-06
draft-sayre-atompub-protocol-outline-01
draft-sayre-atompub-protocol-seek-00
draft-sayre-atompub-xhtml-micro-00
draft-snell-atompub-app-blogcontrol-00
draft-snell-atompub-app-introspection-00
draft-snell-atompub-feed-expires-06
draft-snell-atompub-feed-index-10
draft-snell-atompub-feed-nofollow-04
draft-snell-atompub-link-extensions-02
draft-snell-atompub-revision-00
draft-snell-atompub-tombstones-02
draft-snell-atompub-transitional-atom-00

4 truly EXPIRED I-Ds found...

draft-ietf-atompub-typeparam-01
draft-snell-atompub-author-extensions-01
draft-snell-atompub-autodiscovery-01
draft-snell-atompub-notification-02

0 oddly formatted I-Ds found...

---
end

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:22:01 +0100

=JeffH <[email-masked]> writes:

> tools you folks have made available

+1 for this, it would be useful to easily be able to duplicate the
tools.ietf.org setup locally or internally for an organization.

/Simon

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:06:09 +0100

Hi Simon,

> tools.ietf.org setup locally or internally for an organization.

... Yes.  All the tools I write are available under GPL or (sometimes) some
other OSS license, like CDDL.

... However. The full current setup depends on a heavy CRON file, and on
various python modules which I haven't charted and collected as a
package, and other unspecified debian packages being installed.

Every time I've set up a new tools server, even considering I've rsynced
over the whole set of scripts and content directories, there has been a
couple of weeks before I've caught every new dependency I haven't been
aware of, and fixed things.

Considering the advice (which I've personally found spot-on over the last
20 years) of Fred Brooks in 'The Mythical Man-Month" that moving from
personal software to software-for-friends to a public release each requires
a three time increase in effort, I simply can't see that it's worth the
increased effort from my side to make the complete setup available as a
reasonably solid package.

If willing assistance to accomplish this turns up, I'd be happy to reconsider.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:26:13 +0100

> other OSS license, like CDDL.

Is there a central place where one could find the code?  I'm thinking in
particular of the recent dailydose page, but the search pages would also
be interesting to set up locally.

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:49:15 +0100

Hi Simon,

> be interesting to set up locally.

In general, the code is available under tools.ietf.org/tools/*/, but there's
also quite a bit of dross and incomplete stuff there, so I don't have a full
index of that area available.

The ID search support code is available at http://tools.ietf.org/id/code.txt,
now linked from http://tools.ietf.org/id/, this some of the search capabilites
shown at http://tools.ietf.org/html/; the rest is plain google.

The 404 support for http://tools.ietf.org/html/ is similarly available at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/code.txt; and also at 
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/html-404/

The dailydose code is a special case; it's not written by me, but by Pasi
Eronen.  It's not open source, unfortunately; for more information I'd
suggest you contact Pasi at [email-masked].

Hope that helps,

	Henrik

---

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:45:07 -0800

Thanks for the info Henrik,

 > However. The full current setup depends on a heavy CRON file, and on
...
 > I simply can't see that it's worth the

hm. and with that info, i wonder whether such a project might really want to 
start over using e.g. the Google Gears along with Google Web Toolkit (as 
appropriate) in order to yield both server- and client-side capabilities. Of 
course it's at least somewhat likely that large chunks of the current 
formatting & text-processing code could be reused.

In the meantime, my simple perl script(s) are available to anyone who's 
interested.

=JeffH