Subject: [Tools-discuss] getting all rev's of all old internet-drafts?

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:17:13 -0800

So I note that tools.ietf.org is able to get at old revs of old I-Ds. I began 
my local un-pruned I-D cache in about year 2000. Are there I-Ds sitting around 
that are older than that? If so, can one simply rsync them over?

My present I-D  rsync command looks like this..

   rsync -avz www1.ietf.org::internet-drafts  'local-repository-path'

..so I'm assuming I get everything that's stored there at ietf.org. Yes?

thanks,

=JeffH

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:41:24 +0200

Jeff,

> So I note that tools.ietf.org is able to get at old revs of old I-Ds.
> I began my local un-pruned I-D cache in about year 2000. Are there
> I-Ds sitting around that are older than that? If so, can one simply
> rsync them over?
>

If you kept rsyncing to ietf.org over the years, you should have gotten
everything that existed. But I for instance have only a partially
correct local copy, because I only did this part of the time.

watersprings.org may have everything.

It would be great if tools.ietf.org had everything and it would
be rsynccable, searchable, etc.

Jari

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 01:12:53 +0100

Hi,

> be rsynccable, searchable, etc.

I believe tools.ietf.org has everything that watersprings.org has.
It may have some old IDs that watersprings doesn't have, and I may
have a source of additional old drafts, which I have yet to put
online (will do so Real Soon Now ... ,,:-).

Rsync:

  I've set up rsync to provide access to the ID repository, under the
  URL  rsync://rsync.tools.ietf.org/tools.id

  i.e., use 
     rsync -avz rsync://rsync.tools.ietf.org/tools.id .
  or
     rsync -avz rsync.tools.ietf.org::tools.id .

Search:

  To the extent that google has indexed all the drafts in the repository,
  they should all be searchable using the search form at
    http://tools.ietf.org/html
    (a.k.a http://tools.ief.org/search)

  Google's indexing is dependent on somebody at some time having pointed
  an URL at the drafts; as I don't provide a full html index to all the
  drafts (the current count being 46767 .txt files) this is not going to
  be the case for very old drafts which nobody has ever referenced.  All
  new drafts get links on tools.ietf.org/html/ when they appear, though;
  one reason for this is exactly to give Google a link to follow to index
  the new drafts...

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:28:14 -0800

>> watersprings.org may have everything.

nice source, thanks. They do have some stuff I don't have.

 >      rsync -avz rsync.tools.ietf.org::tools.id .

super, thanks. I'm sync'g now. There's a fair bit I didn't have.

=JeffH

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:11:51 +0200

Henrik,

> I believe tools.ietf.org has everything that ... (snip) ...
>   
I should have known :-)

Rsync works great. Thanks.

Jari

---

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:26:57 -0800

So, just fyi, I rsync'd over all the I-Ds you put in 
rsync://rsync.tools.ietf.org/tools.id, and now here's the stats on my (1) 
diskspace consumed for all RFCs & I-Ds (.txt & .pdf & .xml) and (2) number of 
I-D files..

(1) ~/doc/IETF[15]> du -sk .
3777360 .				-- i.e. < 4gb

(2) ~/doc/IETF/internet-drafts[22]> ls -1 | wc -l
64030

=JeffH