Subject: [Tools-discuss] process overview for documents

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:58:35 +0200

Hi,

I created some tools to analyze and visualize the process related to the
development of every RFC. From draft-smith-00 to RFC.

Here's an example:

http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-timing.html

The grey area is the time spent in individual draft phase, blue WG time,
yellow IESG, and pink RFC Editor. All drafts that have this chart are
available from

  http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/drafts.html

This is work in progress and there are a number of limitations, such as
lack of metadata information, lack of replaced-by information, and even
some document revisions for older drafts are missing. But if people are
interested in looking at their own WG's documents and where the time
went it is now possible. Further work includes trying to get rid of some
of the limitations, and using this information to gather some statistics
of the entire IETF process and how it changes from year to year.

Jari

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:08:28 -0500

Neat tool!

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:27:45 +0200

> http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-timing.html

Neat!

Once this is considered stable enough, can the plot be included on the  
normal tools page of a draft (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mobike/draft-ietf-mobike-protocol/ 
  in this example), with a link to your details page?

Lars

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:44:55 +0200

> normal tools page of a draft
> (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mobike/draft-ietf-mobike-protocol/ in this
> example), with a link to your details page?
Henrik is working on a new style for the tools draft pages, and I think
that includes some sort of timeline visualization, though for slightly
different purposes (clicking on versions and diffs). Perhaps he could
add a pointer to the full timeline in that, too.

By the way, a related topic is that I've been thinking of creating pages
for each person where it would be easy to navigate between your own
drafts. Authorstats maintains already pages like
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/larseggert.html and you can get to
the tools page by clicking on your drafts. However, you cannot get to
the new process timeline pages, and you cannot get back from either the
tools or the timeline pages to the author. Any ideas on how to do this?

Jari

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 05:44:37 +0800

> add a pointer to the full timeline in that, too.

Yes, that's the plan.

	Henrik