Subject: [Tools-discuss] IPR information in 1id-index.txt

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:40:43 +0200

Hi, secretariat (BCC'ed),

the 1id-index.txt database seems to have been updated recently to  
include full author information (great!) as well as an indication  
whether an IPR statement has been filed for a draft (also a good  
idea). Example:

    "Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP)  
Congestion ID 4:
    TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP)", Sally  
Floyd, Eddie
    Kohler, Intellectual Property, 18-Nov-07, <draft-ietf-dccp- 
ccid4-01.txt,.ps>

However, the IPR information is not accurate. At least for the example  
above, I was unaware that an IPR statement had been filed, and  
searching through the IPR disclosures also comes up empty. The same  
seems to be true for some other TSV area drafts I checked. You  
probably want to check if there's a bug in the scripts that extract  
this information fromt he IPR disclosure database.

Lars

PS: The format in which 1id-index.txt was modified also causes xml2rfc  
to add "I. Property" as an author to all drafts that are flagged as  
having Intellectual Property, which needs to be fixed. You probably  
want to work with the tools team in order to come up with a way of  
flagging an IPR disclosure in a way that doesn't have that side effect:

   [I-D.ietf-dccp-ccid4]
              Floyd, S., Kohler, E., and I. Property, "Profile for
              Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID
              4:  TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets
              (TFRC-SP)", draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01 (work in progress),
              November 2007.

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:20:33 +0100

Hi,

Adding Michael and AMS' Glen and James as Cc:

Comments at the end.

On 2008-01-25 10:40 Lars Eggert said the following:
>     "Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4:
>     TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP)", Sally Floyd, Eddie
>     Kohler, Intellectual Property, 18-Nov-07, <draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt,.ps>
> 

And while all unilateral changes to the format of files which may be
parsed by other tools is a rather bad idea -- please coordinate with
know tool authors first, and announce changes before implementing them --
in this case the format used makes it virtually impossible to determine
from the format alone whether "I. Property" is an author or something
else.

If this is an accident/program bug, we need to find and fix it -- if
this is an intentional change, then please revert the part causing the
"Intellectual Property" indication until we can agree on a format which
can be parsed by the tools which extract information from this file...

	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:28:36 +0100

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> ...
> ...

+1.

+2 on making all this information available in XML in the first place, 
though.

BR, Julian

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:21:03 +0200

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> this is an intentional change, then please revert the part causing
> the "Intellectual Property" indication until we can agree on a
> format which can be parsed by the tools which extract information
> from this file...

As an author of tools that parse 1id-index.txt (including
the Daily Dose of IETF), I'd like to second Julian's suggestion
to have draft information available in easily machine-parsable
format (such as XML or tab-separated).

This file should, at the very least, combine the information in
1id-abstract.txt (latest version, title, authors, date, abstract) 
and all_id.txt (latest version, date, I-D tracker state). Including 
additional fields, such as "responsible AD", would be nice.

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:21:03 +0200

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:20:33 +0100

Hi,

Comments at the end.

	Henrik