Subject: [Tools-discuss] ietf wiki page login

From: Jelte Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:10:49 +0100

Hi,

having just signed up for the code sprint, I've already got one issue
with the registration/login procedure on the wiki;

This may already be known, if so, I apologize.

I had some problems logging in after I had set my password; apparently
the username is case-sensitive (which makes sense), but the signup-form
silently lowercases it.

So when you register with an e-mail address that has capitals in it, the
username you end up with is not the same as the one you entered. Not the
biggest problem in the world, but it confused me for a bit there. Of
course the e-mail you get shows the correct login name, but one tends to
skip over that if it looks anything alike.

So if there's going to be some work done on this part too, I propose to
either let it not lowercase, error if one enters capitals, or be very
very clear about what it does there.

(while I'm mailing; the rest of the site seemed to behave a bit erratic
in the time between setting my password and actually logging in, I got
some strange errors on some of the password-related pages, but I have no
real details about that atm)

Regards,

Jelte Jansen
NLnet Labs
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:26:56 +0100

Hi Jelte,

> the username is case-sensitive (which makes sense), but the signup-form

Humm.  It does lowercase it, but right in front of the entry form, it
also says: "Email (lowercase):" ...  ,;-)

> very clear about what it does there.

It was actually designed to return an error, and a code bug resulted in
the silent lowercasing.  Anyway, it's fixed to return an error now.

> real details about that atm)

Humm.  Hard to debug without an ever so tiny thread to pull...

Anyway -- there's another issue here, which isn't at all obvious from the
outside, so I might as well go over it here:

There are a number of individual servers which handle the various
sub-domains of ietf.org, and the primary focus (although it doesn't
at all have to be the only one) for the Code Sprint is to work on
the Django based code, in part because that's the one which we have
come furthest in open-sourcing.

Here's the layout of the most important domains and servers from a tools
perspective:

  www.ietf.org 		- is currently one machine, before the AMS transition
			  it used to be split on multiple machines.
  datatracker.ietf.org  - also used to be a separate machine; at the moment
			  it is the same as www.ietf.org, but that could change
  tools.ietf.org	- 3 servers capable of serving the same pages, running
			  the same scripts, mostly Python and Bash.  Normally
			  the NS records for tools.ietf.org points out 2 of them,
			  while the 3rd is a development server

and here's what they are serving, and the type of pages:

  www.ietf.org			  - static pages and pages generated
				    from cron-jobs
  datatracker.ietf.org/cgi-bin/*  - old perl cgi-bin scripts which will
				    gradually be re-written to use Django
  datatracker.ietf.org/*	  - interface to the ietf database, written
				    in Django/Python
  tools.ietf.org		  - almost all pages generated by cron-jobs
				    running Python, Bash, or html-embedded
				    Python (.pyht files).  The major exception
				    is the wiki pages, which are mod_python
				    (Trac).

I hope that helps also in indicating why I just went and fixed the bug -- the
password handling code is .pyht and bash, not part of the Django database
interface, as of now ;-)

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 02:48:06 +0100

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
 
> Here's the layout of the most important domains and servers from
> a tools perspective:
[...]

Thanks for info.  From a user perspective it's a bit messy, there 
used to be a noc.ietf.org ignoring the tools servers for unclear
reasons.  But now noc.ietf.org apparently vanished, is that as it
is supposed to be ?

 Frank