Subject: [Tools-discuss] SPAM in IETF email archives

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:40:03 -0700

It seems to me that there is a lot more spam in the archives than  
their there used to be. More specifically, we seem to get spam in the  
archives that was not sent to the lists. I have not gone and  
systematically looked at this so I may be totally wrong but are other  
seeing this? Any thoughts on what might have changed?

Thanks, Cullen

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:05:51 +1300

On 2009-01-16 16:40, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> 
> It seems to me that there is a lot more spam in the archives than their
> there used to be. More specifically, we seem to get spam in the archives
> that was not sent to the lists. I have not gone and systematically
> looked at this so I may be totally wrong but are other seeing this? Any
> thoughts on what might have changed?

I discovered an issue recently when, for no particular reason, I checked
that the diffserv WG archives were still on line. Diffserv, and the list,
were closed in 2003. But until 9 days ago, the email address
[email-masked] was still active, receiving spam, and
dropping that spam into the archive. This was promptly fixed under
ticket [rt.amsl.com #12411] but I wonder if it's the tip of an iceberg?

     Brian

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:21:57 -0800

Cullen,

This was actually brought to my attention several days ago and we are  
working on it now. The spam is being sent to the archive email  
address, not the list address.  I will provide more details about the  
solution as soon as I can, but please know that it is definitely being  
addressed.

Alexa

On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> their there used to be. More specifically, we seem to get spam in  
> the archives that was not sent to the lists. I have not gone and  
> systematically looked at this so I may be totally wrong but are  
> other seeing this? Any thoughts on what might have changed?
>
> Thanks, Cullen
>

-----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:22:05 -0700

Thanks

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:47:12 -0500

I have a theory that the SPAM is being sent to the archive email 
address, not the actual mail list.  How hard would it be to make sure 
that the mail arriving at the archive is only coming from the mail 
list that it is archiving?

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:00:43 -0500

The mail is definitely going straight into the archive, bypassing the 
distribution to the mail list.

Here is another example:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg05631.html

Russ

At 09:47 AM 1/16/2009, Russ Housley wrote:
>address, not the actual mail list.  How hard would it be to make 
>sure that the mail arriving at the archive is only coming from the 
>mail list that it is archiving?
>
>Russ
>

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:37:52 -0800

Nothing has changed, just the frequency of spam is increasing.  We are
going to be taking steps to mitigate this shortly.

Glen