Subject: [Tools-discuss] ietf network v6 problems?

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:31:46 +0200

reason. Some other IPv6 Internet sites work for me, and some IETF IPv6 
addresses work, but not all. Iljitsch saw a similar issue from Holland, 
but from Spain all addresses seemed to work. Anyone else see the same 
problem?

Jari

$ wget -6 http://tools.ietf.org
--15:37:25--  http://tools.ietf.org/
           => `index.html.3'
Resolving tools.ietf.org... 2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54, 
2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb
Connecting to tools.ietf.org|2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54|:80... 
failed: Connection timed out.
Connecting to tools.ietf.org|2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb|:80... 
connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

    [ 
<=>                                                                                                              
] 55,390        --.--K/s            

15:40:34 (625.76 KB/s) - `index.html.3' saved [55390]

$ traceroute6 2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54
traceroute to 2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54 
(2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54) from 
2001:14b8:400:101:216:6fff:fe75:6607, 30 hops max, 16 byte packets
 1  2001:14b8:400:101::1 (2001:14b8:400:101::1)  1.346 ms  1.53 ms  1.51 ms
 2  hki2r2.ip6.fv.fi (2001:14b8:0:2000::9)  5.164 ms  3.918 ms  4.208 ms
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  sl-bb1v6-nyc-t-1003.sprintv6.net (2001:440:1239:100d::1)  140.308 
ms  133.941 ms  125.768 ms
 6  2001:7f8:d:fe::139 (2001:7f8:d:fe::139)  12.258 ms  11.791 ms  12.119 ms
 7  sl-bb1v6-nyc-t-1003.sprintv6.net (2001:440:1239:100d::1)  119.181 
ms  146.632 ms  142.172 ms
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *

$ wget -6 http://www.ietf.org
--15:53:14--  http://www.ietf.org/
           => `index.html.4'
Resolving www.ietf.org... 2001:1890:1112:1::20
Connecting to www.ietf.org|2001:1890:1112:1::20|:80... failed: 
Connection timed out.
Retrying.

--15:56:24--  http://www.ietf.org/
  (try: 2) => `index.html.4'
Connecting to www.ietf.org|2001:1890:1112:1::20|:80...
^C

$  traceroute6 www.ietf.org
traceroute to www.ietf.org (2001:1890:1112:1::20) from 
2001:14b8:400:101:216:6fff:fe75:6607, 30 hops max, 16 byte packets
 1  2001:14b8:400:101::1 (2001:14b8:400:101::1)  2.232 ms  1.677 ms  
1.536 ms
 2  hki2r2.ip6.fv.fi (2001:14b8:0:2000::9)  5.513 ms  4.008 ms  4.607 ms
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  sl-bb1v6-nyc-t-1003.sprintv6.net (2001:440:1239:100d::1)  119.408 
ms  146.37 ms  135.505 ms
 6  2001:7f8:d:fe::139 (2001:7f8:d:fe::139)  11.613 ms  13.077 ms  11.47 ms
 7  sl-bb1v6-nyc-t-1003.sprintv6.net (2001:440:1239:100d::1)  133.239 
ms  140.542 ms  129.067 ms
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  *

_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:34:38 +1300

> I seem to be having a problem with accessing IETF sites with v6 for some

It all looks good to me, using the AARNET tunnel broker (i.e.
I appear to be in Australia, not New Zealand, in 2001:388:f000::/64 ).

I can't use our native connectivity via the University of Auckland and
karen.net.nz, because that doesn't have transit to non-EDU type networks,
including the IETF. We have black holes in IPv6, like we used to
have in IPv4 20+ years ago.

       Brian

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:49:25 -0600

do seem to be present at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/sipping.html. 
Am I doing something wrong?

I checked a couple of other working groups, and SIPPING was the only problem 
I found.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:21:40 -0600

Sorry if I'm not being clear (it happens) - I am seeing the Minutes, for 
IETF 73, but when I click on links to presentations, THEN I'm getting 404s.

Thanks,

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
To: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>; "IETF TOOLS discussion" 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gonzalo Camarillo" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:54 PM
Subject: RE: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the minutes - I just checked and I
think they're there, although when you first go to "Minutes" from the
SIPPING Status Page, I did get an error, but that error says that no
IETF-74 minutes are available (which is right).  But if you then click
on minutes-73, they are there.  Perhaps they've just started resetting
the WG pages to plan for IETF-74.

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:49 PM
To: IETF TOOLS discussion
Cc: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

I'm getting 404s for the slides linked at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/minutes?item=minutes73.html, but the
slides do seem to be present at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/sipping.html.
Am I doing something wrong?

I checked a couple of other working groups, and SIPPING was the only
problem I found.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:22:48 +0200 (EET)

> addresses work, but not all. Iljitsch saw a similar issue from Holland, but 
> from Spain all addresses seemed to work. Anyone else see the same problem?
>
> Jari

Works fine here.

It seems that the IETF network only supports 1480B PMTU is support. 
www.ietf.org servers are advertising 1440 (=1500B MTU) MSS.

I'd suspect there is some big packet blackholing happening on the 
return path.

This is working on my 6to4 test system that has 1420 MSS, and my 
native systems which have 1440B MSS.  So if the problem wasn't fixed 
already, I suspect this gets triggered when tunneling happens inside 
the network.

It would be interesting to see a traceroute back from www.ietf.org or 
such, maybe also with big packets.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:00:07 +0100

> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/minutes?item=minutes73.html, but the slides 

It seems the URL for the slides has changed after the secretariat closed the
preliminary materials page.  I'll talk to them about it.

	Henrik