Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] IETF mailing list web archives

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:19:49 +0100

Lars Eggert wrote:

> The only thing I know about are patches to mailman for htdig
> support.  That would already be a step up, but still a far cry from
> Google Groups, Nabble, etc.

The mailing list search software used by W3C is open source
(http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Devel) -- but I don't know how much
work it would take to adapt it for IETF use.

AMS (the company running the IETF secretariat) also has an in-house
built software called "ARO" (used by some of their other clients),
which includes mailing list archives and search. I've briefly tried
it, and at least the archives and search (it has other features, too)
look pretty decent. (But there's the question of vendor lock-in --
using software that can't be moved to a new vendor complicates ever
doing a new RFP for secretariat services.)

There are also commercial software packages (like L-SOFT's LISTSERV)
that include mailing list archives and search.

I don't know how the cost of those would compare with the cost of
customizing/deploying/maintaining some open source package (we pay for
the IT infrastructure work, so using open source isn't always cheaper
than commercial software).

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss