Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] ietf network v6 problems?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:32:17 +0100

On 22 jan 2009, at 21:34, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> I seem to be having a problem with accessing IETF sites with v6 for  
>> some
>> reason. Some other IPv6 Internet sites work for me, and some IETF  
>> IPv6
>> addresses work, but not all. Iljitsch saw a similar issue from  
>> Holland,
>> but from Spain all addresses seemed to work.

Actually the tunnel I used from Spain also goes through Holland  
(SixXS). But if anyone cares I can try with 6to4 through a Portugese  
relay from the office tomorrow. From my server with native  
connectivity I get:

 > traceroute6 tools.ietf.org
traceroute6: Warning: tools.ietf.org has multiple addresses; using  
2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54
traceroute6 to tools.ietf.org (2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54)  
from 2001:1af8:2:5::2, 64 hops max, 12 byte packets
  1  2001:1af8:2:5::1  94.584 ms  85.648 ms  81.292 ms
  2  2001:1af8::29  1.976 ms  1.707 ms  2.100 ms
  3  2001:450:2008:1017::1  2.359 ms  18.069 ms  5.091 ms
  4  * * *
  5  * * *
  6  * * *
  7  * * *
  8  * * *
  9  * * *
10  *^C

Hop 3 is Global Crossing, looks like they or the next hop is a black  
hole, I would assume if there was no route we'd get !N.

(It keeps using this address on each try, longest match and all...)  
The other address:

 > traceroute6 2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb
traceroute6 to 2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb  
(2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb) from 2001:1af8:2:5::2, 64 hops max,  
12 byte packets
  1  2001:1af8:2:5::1  113.213 ms  141.399 ms  87.285 ms
  2  2001:1af8::29  2.211 ms  1.640 ms  1.478 ms
  3  ams-ix.he.net  2.108 ms  1.681 ms  1.600 ms
  4  dk-ore.nordu.net  31.716 ms  31.476 ms  31.112 ms
  5  dk-ore.nordu.net  31.551 ms  31.546 ms  31.335 ms
  6  se-fre.nordu.net  31.339 ms  31.889 ms  31.574 ms
  7  2001:7f8:d:fb::172  30.090 ms  30.316 ms  30.723 ms
  8  10ge-2-1.inner-b-gw.sth.netnod.se  30.410 ms  30.420 ms  30.336 ms
  9  2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb  30.469 ms  30.322 ms  30.207 ms

Actual communication shows the same:

# ftp "http://tools.ietf.org/about"
ftp: Connect to address `2001:1890:1112:1:214:22ff:fe1f:1e54':  
Operation timed out
Trying 2a01:3f0:0:31:214:22ff:fe21:bb...
Requesting http://tools.ietf.org/about
  26258     280.87 KB/s
26258 bytes retrieved in 00:00 (280.72 KB/s)

A couple of years ago I couldn't even get to *.ietf.org over IPv6 from  
the IETF meeting venue... The /48 PI prefix used then wasn't routed by  
the meeting network ISP but they returned unreachables so the fallback  
to IPv4 was immediate.

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:54:28 -0600

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the minutes - I just checked and I
think they're there, although when you first go to "Minutes" from the
SIPPING Status Page, I did get an error, but that error says that no
IETF-74 minutes are available (which is right).  But if you then click
on minutes-73, they are there.  Perhaps they've just started resetting
the WG pages to plan for IETF-74.

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:49 PM
To: IETF TOOLS discussion
Cc: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

I'm getting 404s for the slides linked at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sipping/minutes?item=minutes73.html, but the
slides do seem to be present at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/sipping.html. 
Am I doing something wrong?

I checked a couple of other working groups, and SIPPING was the only
problem I found.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:39:16 -0600

Hi Spencer,

Yeah - somehow all those links are wrong. For example, the Update PAI
slides on the tools page link is to:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/sipping-5/sld1.htm

Whereas, the link in the proceedings, which is correct, is:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/sipping-5/sipping-5.htm

And, actually, there are other WGs impacted - there is the same problem
with XCON, P2PSIP, BLISS and I would guess others.  Based on these WGs,
the difference is that the .htm ones have the problem, but the .pdf are
fine.  

I'm not sure how or who needs to fix this - i.e., do problems on the
tools page go through the normal ticket system or can I as chair somehow
fix this.   I'm not on the tools list, so if someone who knows the
answer can make sure to 'cc' me, I'd appreciate it.

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:22 PM
To: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); IETF TOOLS discussion
Cc: Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: Re: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

Hi, Mary,

Sorry if I'm not being clear (it happens) - I am seeing the Minutes, for
IETF 73, but when I click on links to presentations, THEN I'm getting
404s.

Thanks,

Spencer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
To: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>; "IETF TOOLS
discussion" 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gonzalo Camarillo" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:54 PM
Subject: RE: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Dawkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:49 PM
To: IETF TOOLS discussion
Cc: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); Gonzalo Camarillo
Subject: Missing slides for IETF 73 SIPPING meeting

Thanks,

Spencer