Subject: [Tools-discuss] Problems managing multiple mailing lists

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:03:34 +1000

[ I sent this a few weeks back. Recently checking the archives, I  
found it never got through -- I suspect because of the attachment.  
Trying again... ]

I've been silly enough to volunteer to moderate/own several IETF  
mailing lists.

Each one has different login credentials for administration (e.g.,  
"oauth-administrator", "hybi-administrator"). Somehow, the list  
interface remembers one of them, and doesn't allow me to change my  
identity when logging in (see screenshot, and note that I'm trying to  
log into the hybi list).

[ picture at: <http://www.mnot.net/test/ietf-mail-mgr.png> ]

As you can see, it has disabled the 'Login name' text input.

For other lists where I share duties with others, the credentials are  
shared manually between multiple users.

Requests -

1) At a minimum, the text input needs to be enabled, so another  
identity can be entered. Currently, I have to clear my cookies (!) to  
log in to administer another list, or use another browser. I'm running  
out of browsers...

2) Ideally, logins should be tied to people, not 'foo-Administrator',  
and one identity should be able to manage several lists.

Thanks,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:55:07 +0200

Hi Mark,

Hmm, I wonder if the browser makes a difference here?

I also administer several lists (with different usernames/passwords),
and with Firefox 3, they seem to work fine.

If I go to the "secdir" admin page, the login name is
"secdir-Administrator" (and the browser adds the right password for
secdir); if I go to the "saag" admin page, the login name is
"saag-Administrator" (and the browser picks the right password).
And if I attempt going to the "hybi" admin page, the login name is
"hybi-Administrator" (but I don't know the password, of course).

The "Login name" text input is indeed disabled, but it doesn't matter
because it has the right value in all cases. I looked at the Mailman
code/template that produces this page, and it seems the server always
sends the same list name in the page title ("<listname> Moderator
Authentication") and in the input tag ("<listname>-Administrator"),
and it doesn't seem to depend on any cookies.  So if they're different
(like in your screen shot), either I'm misreading the code, or it's
something your browser does?

Best regards,
Pasi

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tools-discuss-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Mark Nottingham
> Sent: 30 April, 2009 09:04
> To: Tools
> Subject: [Tools-discuss] Problems managing multiple mailing lists
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:11:52 +0200

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> [ I sent this a few weeks back. Recently checking the archives, I found
> it never got through -- I suspect because of the attachment. Trying
> again... ]
> 
> I've been silly enough to volunteer to moderate/own several IETF mailing
> lists.

There are several people who made that 'mistake' ;)

I suggest using Firefox (3.x++) and optionally "Secure Login" available
from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/4429
That fills in passwords even easier (hit ctrl-n) than the default
firefox and makes password boxes yellow-outlined so that you can
recognize them easily.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 15:24:31 +1000

Ah, I see what's happened; the automatic password filling in Safari is  
*only* scoped to whole sites, so it fills it in -- even though it's a  
disabled field. Oops.

Thanks,

On 30/04/2009, at 6:11 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

>> found
>> mailing