Subject: [Tools-discuss] mumble. idnits. mumble. xml2rfc. mumble.

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:18:46 -0700

<rant>
idnits says:

   == The document seems to lack the recommended RFC 2119 boilerplate,  
even if
      it appears to use RFC 2119 keywords -- however, there's a  
paragraph with
      a matching beginning. Boilerplate error?

      RFC 2119 paragraph 2 text:
      "The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL  
NOT",
       "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
       this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119."

      ... text found in draft:
      "The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT,  
SHOULD, SHOULD
.............^
       NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL, when they appear in this
       document, are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119]."

There are in fact several issues: a space, some quotation marks, and a  
left and right bracket.

Fixing that (copying the text from RFC 2119 to get the comparison  
exactly right), xml2rfc now complains about the normative reference to  
RFC 2119: the reference is there but no place in the document refers  
to it.

!@#$%

</rant>

Thanks. I feel better now.

:-)

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:28:16 -0400

glad we could help ;-)

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Fred Baker
> Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 6:19 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: XML2RFC mailing list
> Subject: [xml2rfc] mumble. idnits. mumble. xml2rfc. mumble.
> 
> <rant>
> idnits says:
> 

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.xml.resource.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:45:47 +0200

Hi Fred,

>       "The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT,  

Idnits should accept "... [RFC2119]." -- if it doesn't, it's a bug.  Let
me know.

> Thanks. I feel better now.

Ok ;-)

	Henrik

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 04:43:07 -0700

> Idnits should accept "... [RFC2119]." -- if it doesn't, it's a bug.   

OK.

The form I have had it in for approximately ever and which made it  
through idnits was:

    The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, SHOULD,
    SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL, when they appear in this
    document, are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

It stopped accepting that. The text that shows in RFC 2119 is:

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
    document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

It accepts that as meeting the RFC 2119 requirement, but complains  
about not dereferencing <?rfc include="reference.RFC.2119"?>

As of this morning, it accepts this without complaint:

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
    document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

Thanks.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:28:06 +0200

Hi Fred,

>     document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

Ok, good so far -- I'll go back and check if the change in handling of
quotes is a regression or an intended change in some earlier version.

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:57:37 +0200

Hi again,

On 2009-06-29 14:28 Henrik Levkowetz said the following:
...
> quotes is a regression or an intended change in some earlier version.

It seems the current handling of the 2119 text (requiring quotes around the
key words) has been the same in idnits since 21 Apr 2006.  I haven't checked
every single release since then, so it's possible some release had a bug
which caused it to accept quote-less 2119 text.  It's also possible that the
checks used by the previous secretariat might have permitted quote-less 2119
text.

	Henrik