Subject: [Tools-discuss] Approval for initial versions of wg documents...

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:35:22 -0700

I just got an approval request for an initial version of a new dhc  
document, and I noticed a UI issue that might be worth thinking  
about.   Here's the message:

> If the document has already been approved by the other chair, then
> the Web site will display an appropriate indication.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/cgi-bin/wg/wg_init_rev_approval.cgi?command=record_approval&filename=draft-ietf-dhc-forcerenew-nonce

There's more text above that, but I'm a little sleep-deprived right  
now, and when I clicked on this link, I *thought* I was going to a  
page where I would be asked to review the status and then approve or  
not.   But in fact, clicking on that link is what approved the  
document.   It worked out fine, because I did intend to approve the  
document, but I think from a UI perspective the more expected behavior  
would be that the approval would be triggered by some action on the  
web page being linked to, not by clicking on the link itself.

I mention this because the same thing happened to my co-chair before  
the previous IETF, only in his case the working group hadn't approved  
the draft, so we wound up with a working group document for an item  
that the working group hadn't taken on.

I realize that I'm in a poor position to request changes since I  
haven't been able to contribute during any code sprints thus far, but  
nevertheless I thought I'd mention this in case it makes sense to you  
and someone has time to fix it.