Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] Java application for editing nroff formatted Internet Drafts

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:07:20 +0200

Hi Stefan,

On 2009-06-18 21:54 Stefan Santesson said the following:
> I know that many turn to XML or word for their internet draft editing, but I
> still like the old nroff format better.
> 
> The only problem is that I didn¹t have a good convenient tool to instantly
> convert my nroff text into the final txt version while editing.
> So I got tired of the issue and wrote my own editing tool in java.
> 
> The result is available from my website for free.
> http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/index.html
> 
> I use it for all my nroff editing and it works super for me.  The output
> from my application is identical to the nroff compiler I used to use
> Knowing that there are some nroff hackers still out there, Is this something
> that would be of general interest?
> Is there something better out there for nroff that I don¹t know about?
> 
> Any feedback is welcome.

I've created a control file with a bit of meta-information, which is read
(together with similar files for other tools) to generate the front page
of http://tools.ietf.org/ .  Please have a look at that page to see the
resulting listing of nroffedit, and let me know if you want to keep the
listing or remove it, and if the first, whether there are any changes needed:

----
Version: 0.1
Section: text
Ietf: 
Priority: optional
Maintainer: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Package: nroffedit
Architecture: mac, pc
Depends: gij
Category: author
Url: http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/
Description: Edit IDs in .nroff with wysiwyg display
	Nroff Edit is a Java application for writing and editing
	Internet Draft files using the nroff format.  This application lets
	you load any I-D nroff file, which will be shown processed in the
	right-hand window, and can be edited in the left-hand window.
----

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:31:24 +0200

Thanks Henrik, it looks great.

I will do an effort to release version 0.2, fixing all known bugs, the week
before Stockholm IETF.

I maintain a bug list on the web page as well.
(http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/nroffedit/faqbugs.html). If you test and find
any other issues with this application, I would appreciate to hear about
them.

/Stefan

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:08:55 +0200

FYI,

I have just released version 0.8 of NroffEdit (WYSIWYG nroff editor linked
at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/)

This version is now fully compatible with the IETF nroff template file
(http://aaa-sec.com/pub/NroffEdit/2-nroff_template.nroff) and correctly
implements all features that is supported by the RFC editor.

/Stefan

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:08:33 +0200

Sorry for the double posting.

The link to the tool fell off. Here it is:
http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/index.html

/Stefan

On 09-07-05 9:08 PM, "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 05:52:48 +0200

Update FYI,

In light of the xml2rfc discussion, I have now updated the NroffEdit tool
(version 0.84) so that it correctly supports nroff content that has been
auto generated by the xml2rfc tool.

/Stefan