Subject: [Tools-discuss] Weirdness on versions of I-Ds that have expired

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:31:19 +0200

Here is one example:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/idnabis/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables/

What might happen here is that just because -05 of the document  
expired, a fake -06 version was created that include text about the  
expiration. When later a real -06 was released (yesterday) the html  
and pdf versions where not regenerated.

This is a guess...

If you look at these URLs explicitly, you see the difference:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-06.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-06.txt
http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-06.pdf

And then a real nit (which indicate how well the tool server works in  
general ;-) ), in the list to the right, "Other Idnabis drafts:",  
maybe this draft that is displayed should not be in the list. Or the  
word "Other " should be removed.

    Patrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:27:02 +0200

Hi Patrik,

> and pdf versions where not regenerated.

Yes.  I wish that a decision could be made to remove the tombstone
files, they are control information placed smack in the middle of the
data channel withouth any identifying markers, and cause no end of
pain.  I try to clean them out after each rsync of drafts from the
master repository, but this one for unknown reasons hasn't been caught
by the regex pattern which is supposed to find tombstones.

I've cleaned the tombstones out now, and the pages should be OK again.

> word "Other " should be removed.

Ah.  Right.  I'll have a look at that.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 01:51:09 +0200

On 2009-08-12 00:27 Henrik Levkowetz said the following:
...
> Ah.  Right.  I'll have a look at that.

Fixed!

	Henrik

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:26:26 +0200

> by the regex pattern which is supposed to find tombstones.

Ha ha ha! "Dream on"...i.e. I had that discussion 10-11 years ago when  
I started in IESG and we started to work on an embryo of the tracker  
etc. But it "had to be that way" and to some degree I think the only  
alternative is to remove the file completely. Which is also sort of bad.

We have (at least) two kinds of tombstones, one that is normal expire,  
and then we have the one when an RFC is produced. There should also be  
a special one (I think) when an I-D is replaced by one with a  
different name.

I think one path forward could be to have a standardized format for at  
least one line in the tombstone so that it can be caught in a more  
simple way by tools.

But removing it and not using it -- I think that is not possible.

> I've cleaned the tombstones out now, and the pages should be OK again.

Thanks!

> Ah.  Right.  I'll have a look at that.

:-)

    Regards, Patrik