Subject: [Tools-discuss] html renderer does not have RDF

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:49:29 -0400

Hello,

It seems that an RDF is created for RFC rendering:
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2475

but not for drafts:
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aitken-ipfix-new-infos-03

Can RDF be made available for drafts as well?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:18:49 +0200

> Can RDF be made available for drafts as well?

When you say "RDF" do you mean the DC-HTML extensions (as defined in 
<http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/08/04/dc-html/>)? In that case 
you'll have to wait for the ID to be reformatted by a newer version of 
"rfcmarkup", which should happen automatically (when rfcmarkup is 
updated, not all pages are automatically regenerated).

BR, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:52:30 +0200

Hi Aamer,

> Can RDF be made available for drafts as well?

I assume you are referring to the Dublin Core (DC) metainformation
about the document which is embedded in the HTML <head/> element
of the document at the first URL above, but not in the second.

DC metainformation tags will be generated for all documents if the
metainformation is available at the time the html rendering is
performed, otherwise not.

The ability to insert DC metainformation in the HTML rendered documents
was added to the renderer on 2009-06-25.  

The draft you refer to above was converted just a few days earlier,
on 2009-06-22 (GMT).

Documents are re-converted using the latest version of the renderer
if the previous conversion occurred more than 91 days ago (and also
when there is updated status information).  For the draft you refer
to, the 91 days will have passed on 2009-09-22, and it will be re-
converted (and contain DC metainformation tags) on that date (or
earlier, if its status changes).

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:54:57 +0200

Hi Julian,

> updated, not all pages are automatically regenerated).

Heh.  You already said what I just spent some time writing down, but
more succinctly :-)

In this case it would have been good to look forward in the list of
unread mail to see if the question had already been answered ,;-]

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:59:25 -0400

Thanks Henrik & Julian

Yup, I was referring to the <meta> tagged information.

> The draft you refer to above was converted just a few days earlier, on
2009-
> 06-22 (GMT).

> Documents are re-converted using the latest version of the renderer if
the
> previous conversion occurred more than 91 days ago (and also when
there is
> updated status information).  For the draft you refer to, the 91 days
will have
> passed on 2009-09-22, and it will be re- converted (and contain DC
> metainformation tags) on that date (or earlier, if its status
changes).

I'm missing something here. Today is 2009-10-16, well past the 91 days. 

Thank-you for having this information added. I've found it immensely
useful in the citation tool that I'm using (Zotero), as it can
automatically bring in the biblio information. 

Would it be possible to have instant-biblio-gratification by having the
renderer work thru the draft over the next few days (rather than 91)? Or
even better, have the updating done on reterival time-- which should
only slow down for first time access. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tools-discuss-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henrik Levkowetz
> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:53 AM
> To: Aamer Akhter (aakhter)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] html renderer does not have RDF
> 
> Hi Aamer,
> 
about
> the document which is embedded in the HTML <head/> element of the
> document at the first URL above, but not in the second.
> 
performed,
> otherwise not.
> The draft you refer to above was converted just a few days earlier, on
2009-
> 06-22 (GMT).
> 
> Documents are re-converted using the latest version of the renderer if
the
> previous conversion occurred more than 91 days ago (and also when
there is
> updated status information).  For the draft you refer to, the 91 days
will have
> passed on 2009-09-22, and it will be re- converted (and contain DC
> metainformation tags) on that date (or earlier, if its status
changes).
> 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> 	Henrik
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:06:34 +0200

Hi Aamer,

On 2009-10-16 15:59 Aamer Akhter (aakhter) said the following:
...
> I'm missing something here. Today is 2009-10-16, well past the 91 days. 

Oops, you're absolutely right.  I need to debug why that draft hasn't
been regenerated!

> renderer work thru the draft over the next few days (rather than 91)?

Done.

> Or

I don't see how to do that, given that the fast web-server path is achieved
by simply serving the static converted file if it exists.  I do it this
way, and restrict the update frequency, for a couple of reasons:

   1) The load (number of accesses) on the html converted drafts and
   RFCs is sufficiently high that the 4 servers currently available
   wouldn't be able to handle it if the html version was dynamically
   generated in order to be fully up-to-date,

   2) I try to keep the update frequency low, as I don't want search
   engines to believe that they have to check the whole 65,000+ corpus
   every day in order to catch changes...

Regards,

	Henrik