Subject: [Tools-discuss] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol-50.txt]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:45:46 +1300

So, half way to the interesting case of someone trying to submit
a -100.txt draft. How many tools will that break, I wonder?

    Brian

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:43:32 +0200

> a -100.txt draft. How many tools will that break, I wonder?

I had a draft with more than 800 pages (I think) out of which 780 was  
one table of the Unicode Character set. I thought it broke xml2rfc,  
but it did not. It only took Very Long Time to generate the draft  
itself (I even reported a bug to Marshall, but he had more patience  
than me).

I never posted it, due to risk of creating damage (and who want such a  
draft), but I am happy to resubmit if someone want me to ;-)

    Patrik

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:11:42 +0200

Like this: draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol1-00.txt

Look, Ma, no tool is broken :-)
(We already have a "replaces" functionality for the basename, IIRC.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:13:36 +0200

> a -100.txt draft. How many tools will that break, I wonder?

It looks like the ID submission tool does check that revision 
is <= 99. And the database field for this has type 'CHAR(2)' anyway :-)

(However, I think there are places that would break if someone 
managed to submit -99; so the check should be "<= 98").

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:18:05 +0300

On 2009-10-22, at 10:13, Eronen Pasi (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki) wrote:
> And the database field for this has type 'CHAR(2)' anyway :-)

Right, isn't the number really in hex, and we've just been skipping  
some values for readability all this time? :-)

Lars

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:33:47 -0500

I'm thinking that we should NOT fix the tools to accommodate three-digit 
draft numbers, because if this happens even once, there are things that are 
more broken than the tools...

bernard pointed me to the excellent web page 
http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/extremes.html a couple of days ago. 
Words fail me.

Spencer