Subject: [Tools-discuss] de-authenticate?

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:14:14 -0400 (EDT)

Aside from messing with cookies on my end, is there a trivial way to 
deauthenticate from the tools site(s)?  I suggest adding such a link 
to most pages, PARTICULARLY the NomCom pages.  (I was asked for NomCom 
feedback at one address, but I'm typically authenticated to the tools 
site from a different address, and I'm having challenges swithcing 
between my identities.
-- Sam

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:34:30 +0100

> site from a different address, and I'm having challenges swithcing 
I had more or less the same problem... Henrik sent me this 'hack' as a 
workaround.
> BTW it would also be useful to have a means to logout from a session - 
> > once logged in with the 'wrong' email address, there is no way to 
> > relogin with the 'right' email address apart from clearing the session 
> > with browser capabilities.
>   
>
> Yes.  One of the woes of using http auth.  Why couldn't whoever specified
> that have provided a logout mechanism?  (Oh, wait, that was maybe us...)
> And why haven't the browser manufacturers provide the ability to drop an
> ID?
>
> You can always achieve the effect of logging out by appending a dummy
> user ID to the URL, to make the browser drop the current ID:
>
>   https://[email-masked]/group/nomcom/09/input
>
> but that's a hack.
On Mozilla Firefox you can also de-authenticate by using the 'clear 
recent history'/details/active logins option from tools menu (in the 
recent 3.5.3 release .. the menu option is different for older versions 
- it is buried in the 'options' tabs).

Regards,
Elwyn

>
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:38:16 -0400

Henrik, given that there are issues with the various Logout mechanisms, 
could there be a Logout link that goes to a page explaining the various 
techniques and their issues/shortcomings? For example, the page could 
include a link to 
https://[email-masked]/group/nomcom/09/input ** with an 
explanation of the consequences of using it.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

** yes, I intentionally changed "dummy" to "logout".

Elwyn Davies wrote:
>> > once logged in with the 'wrong' email address, there is no way to >

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:32:01 +0200

Hi Tony,

> explanation of the consequences of using it.

Done, try http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/nomcom/09/logout-info

> ** yes, I intentionally changed "dummy" to "logout".

I did exactly the same change when I implemented this earlier for test
purposes :-)

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:38:50 -0400

Looks nice. Thanks!

You might consider adding Elwyn's information on using "clear recent 
history".

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:21:51 +0200

Hi Tony,

> You might consider adding Elwyn's information on using "clear recent 

Done.  Thanks!

Best,

	Henrik