Subject: [Tools-discuss] ID Submission tool not parsing abstract correctly

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:56:23 -0500

Not sure if this is for tools team or if I should just report this to
ietf-action, but when submitting an ID today, I noticed that the
submission tool was misparsing the abstract to include the status of
the memo and other parts of the document as being "part of the
abstract".

Looking at some other recent ID announcements, this has been happening
at least since November 23rd, but I'm not sure exactly how much before
that.

Who's job is this to deal with?

Thomas

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:59:54 +0100

> at least since November 23rd, but I'm not sure exactly how much before

This may be because the Abstract now appears first on the page...

> ...

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:59:29 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Julian Reschke
> Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:00 AM
> To: Thomas Narten
> Cc: Tools Team Discussion
> Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] ID Submission tool not parsing 
> abstractcorrectly
> 
> Thomas Narten wrote:
> > at least since November 23rd, but I'm not sure exactly how 
> > much before that.
> 

(resending without attachment.  Sorry if duplicates show up.)

For whatever it's worth, I coded up two sed scripts a few years
ago which extract the Abstract.  I haven't had to change 
them to deal with the new location of the abstract.

The two sed files are inside of
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/dwing/abstract.zip

To use them:

  sed -f abstract.sed DRAFTNAME | sed -f tighten.sed

-d

-----

Example:

sed -f abstract.sed draft-narten-radir-problem-statement-04.txt | sed -f
tighten.sed
   There has been much discussion over the last years about the overall
   scalability of the Internet routing system.  This document attempts
   to describe what the actual problem is and the various demands being
   placed on the routing system that have made finding a straightforward
   solution difficult.

   Comments should be sent to [email-masked] or to [email-masked].

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:49:20 +0100

Hi Thomas,

> Who's job is this to deal with?

The current submission tool is broken in many known ways.  Bill Fenner
has been working on a total rewrite, but stalled, and I've recently
continued on the rewrite.  I may be able to complete it within a couple
of months, but I'm right now focusing on converting the IETF database
content from the old fragmented schema to a new schema design which will
let us move forward more easily.  This has pre-empted the submission tool
work; and it's possible it should be farmed out to once we get the IDIQ
contracts in place.

	Henrik