Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] idnits: example IPv6 address warnings

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:59:19 +0200

Hi David,

On 2010-03-31 19:22 David Harrington said:
> Hi,
> 
> In draft-ietf-behave-address-format-05, there are rfc3849-compliant
> example IPv6 addresses.
> The addresses get split across lines, and then idnits considers them
> not compliant as rfc3849-compliant example addresses.
> 
> I recommend that idnits check to see if the "invalid" IPv6 address was
> caused by a split across lines.

For historic reasons idnits is written in AWK with a bash wrapper
(AWK seemed like a good idea for a small program to check that no
line was longer than 72 characters ...) so there are a lot of checks
which are applied on a line-by-line basis which would be better done
on paragraphs.

These day I do assemble paragraphs from individual lines, and I've now
moved the checks for example IPv6 addresses to the check_para() function
in my idnits source.  This will be part of the next release.

> I consider this a low priority problem, but one that should get
> addressed at some point, so editors and reviewers don't waste time
> resolving these inaccurate warnings.

Ack.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:51:39 -0400

thx

dbh 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henrik Levkowetz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:59 AM
> To: David Harrington
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] idnits: example IPv6 address warnings
> 
> Hi David,
>