Subject: [Tools-discuss] Draft formats in datatracker

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 00:00:22 -0800

Datatracker currently makes the following formats available (e.g., on <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-http-portal/>):

plain text, xml, pdf, html

A few issues/suggestions:

1. The "main" page for a draft contains only the first ~2 pages of the draft. Does this serve any practical function? Why not include the whole thing?

2. The "html" version is an html-adorned text/plain draft. Julian's XSLT produces good HTML -- why not link to it? Or, at least make it available; right now people have to click first on the 'html' version here, then click on the 'html' version in the resulting page (on tools.) -- very confusing. Ideally, since this is the Web, the (xslt-generated) HTML version should be the default representation.

3. Julian says that his XSLT is also capable of generating epub files, and with minimal modification, should be able to generate HTML suitable for input into Amazon's KindleGen program. Can the resulting files (.epub and .mobi) be lined as alternative formats as well? A growing number of IETFers are using ebook readers.

If these are desirable changes, I could work on them at the sprint, possible (I'm arriving that day from AU, and may be quite jetlagged).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:21:04 +0100

A new version of NroffEdit is released.

Download from: http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/nroffedit/download.html

Some information about added features are also available here:
http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/nroffedit/faqbugs.html

/Stefan

---

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:17:57 +0100

I have now integrated NroffEdit with the IETF tools diff checker.

While editing you can now on a single button get an IETF tools diff
comparison with the draft you are working on in its current state.

There is also a feature to upload a document to get a permanent diff url
for distribution.

/Stefan

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:31:06 +0100

Hi Mark,

On 2011-03-09 09:00 Mark Nottingham said the following:
> Datatracker currently makes the following formats available (e.g.,
> on<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-http-portal/>):
>
> 1. The "main" page for a draft contains only the first ~2 pages of
> the draft. Does this serve any practical function? Why not include
> the whole thing?

There are still people who are behind very thin pipes (at least from
time to time) -- not including the whole text automatically was done
to accommodate them.  You can set a personal cookie to get the whole
draft by default, but we should add a link to the page where you set
that up at the bottom of the 2-page chunk.

> 2. The "html" version is an html-adorned text/plain draft. Julian's
> XSLT produces good HTML -- why not link to it? Or, at least make it
> available; right now people have to click first on the 'html' version
> here, then click on the 'html' version in the resulting page (on
> tools.) -- very confusing. Ideally, since this is the Web, the
> (xslt-generated) HTML version should be the default representation.

We could show 2 links if both a xslt-produced and a html-adorned version
is available.  The preference for the xslt-produced version does not
seem to be universal, so providing both makes sense; and not all drafts
are submitted with .xml source, so the xslt-produced version will not
always be available.

> 3. Julian says that his XSLT is also capable of generating epub
> files, and with minimal modification, should be able to generate HTML
> suitable for input into Amazon's KindleGen program. Can the resulting
> files (.epub and .mobi) be lined as alternative formats as well? A
> growing number of IETFers are using ebook readers.

I think that sounds like a very nice enhancement.

> If these are desirable changes, I could work on them at the sprint,
> possible (I'm arriving that day from AU, and may be quite
> jetlagged).

If you're not too jetlagged, that sounds great!

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:59:26 +0200

Hi Henrik,

Thanks. Responses below. If you want to talk sometime this week, I'm around.

> that up at the bottom of the 2-page chunk.

OK.

> are submitted with .xml source, so the xslt-produced version will not

Makes sense. 

> If you're not too jetlagged, that sounds great!

Unfortunately I was. :-/  Regardless, I'm willing to help if possible.

Cheers,