Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] URL query-string for comparison against local files

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:31:42 +0200

Thanks alot,

I will look into this and I'll get back if I have any questions.

/Stefan

On 11-03-25 3:22 AM, "Tony Hansen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>What you want to do cannot be done using a GET invocation -- it must be
>done using a POST invocation of the rfcdiff URL. That's because you need
>to send the file as part of the payload.
>
>You would format the POST input using enctype="multipart/form-data" --
>do a quick search on the web and you'll find lots of information on how
>to send data to a web address using that format and POST, and how to
>write the java code to do so. There are a half dozen parameters than can
>be specified for the rfcdiff tool, including either file1 (the contents
>of the first file) OR url1 (a URL pointing at the contents of the first
>file), and either file2 (the contents of the second file) OR url2 (a URL
>pointing at the contents of the second file). (See the rfcdiff html
>source code to find out what the other parameters are.) You probably
>want to use url1 and file2 for your application. You'll then get back
>the HTML web page showing the diff between the two files. Write that to
>a file (probably with a suffix of .html) and invoke your web browser to
>display it.
>
>     Tony Hansen
>
>On 3/24/2011 6:24 PM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I was unclear, or maybe I lack some knowledge here.
>> I don't want to use the form at the tools webpage. I want to launch the
>> check from my Java application.
>>
>> I would like to open a browser from my Java application that not only
>> opens the rfcdiff webpage, but also, by the means of a URL query string,
>> provides the name of the local file(s) and the URL(s) to compare and
>> launches the comparison.
>>
>> In other word, the click of one button in my app results in the done
>>diff
>> shows up in my browser.
>>
>> Is that possible, or did you just tell me that but I failed to
>>understand?
>>
>> /Stefan
>>
>>
>> On 11-03-18 3:28 PM, "Tony Hansen"<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>
>>> If you go to tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff, you'll find that you can upload
>>> locally stored files using the form there.
>>>
>>> That is, in addition to the parameters  url1 and url2, there are also
>>> optional type=file parameters named filename1 and filename2.
>>>
>>>      Tony Hansen
>>>      [email-masked]
>>>
>>> On 3/18/2011 10:11 AM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
>>>> I have a question regarding the current tools for document comparison.
>>>>
>>>> It is currently possible to specify a local text file to be compared
>>>> against a current draft located through a URL.
>>>>
>>>> http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff
>>>>
>>>> Currently it is only specified how you can request such diff check if
>>>> both
>>>> documents can be located using http access.
>>>>
>>>> Would it be possible to request diff check also against a locally
>>>>stored
>>>> file using a URL query-string?
>>>>
>>>> If that is possible, then I would love to incorporate a feature in
>>>> NroffEdit that would allow you to check you current edit file towards
>>>>a
>>>> past draft on a single click, e.g. By requesting the default browser
>>>>to
>>>> dereference a URL query-string specifying the local text file and the
>>>> http
>>>> location of a previous draft.
>>>>
>>>> /Stefan
>_______________________________________________
>Tools-discuss mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss