Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] prototype xml2rfc creation wizard tool

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:22:50 +0200

On 2011-03-30 14:22 Tony Hansen said the following:
> On 3/30/2011 7:52 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
>> Cool!
>>
>> I tried it and ran the xml through xml.resource.org and got this.  I
>> don't recall filling in facsimile.  I might have.
>
> Ordering problem -- fixed. Reload to get the fix.
>
> One question: should the<facsimile/>  and similar fields be output even
> if they're not filled in?
>
> In other words, is it better to leave them in as an aid for people to
> fill in later when they're working on the XML, or is it better to just
> not list them?

The only thing I'd care about in this respect is that missing information
doesn't generate blank lines.  Multiple blank lines in the middle of an
author's address information will mess up the extraction of author info
from a draft ...

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:55:19 +0200

* Tony Hansen wrote:
>Please try it out: http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfc-wizard

Having the same button to get started twice on the main page is a bit
confusing. I would probably prefer if there was no button you need to
click to get going.

"Is your draft associated with any particular Working Group?" had me
confused, I was going to enter "no" but that's probably wrong.

The form to add the author is a bit overwhelming, I think it would be
better to remove all the non-essential ones. If you are going to edit
the XML by hand later, figuring out how to get the non-essential data
in should be easy enough.

"Is this author an editor of the document?" I am not sure is a good
question.

It might be a good idea to also show how the xml2rfc formatted output
looks so far, if that is possible, so you get a better feeling of this
working.

There seem to be a couple of bugs. The draft I made with it had errors

  [Error] INPUT:41:17: The content of element type "address" must match "(postal?,phone?,facsimile?,email?,uri?)".
  [Error] INPUT:58:88: Attribute value "mailto:[email-masked]" of type IDREF must be an NCName when namespaces are enabled.
  [Error] INPUT:225:18: The content of element type "references" is incomplete, it must match "(reference)+".

Seems the order of children in the address element is wrong, the text
`... being discussed on the <xref target="mailto:[email-masked]"/>
mailing list.` probably uses the wrong reference type, and I take it
if you do not have informative references no <references> element
should be generated.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:46:36 -0500

Neat!

(Now the trick is to write an xml2rfc wysiwyg AJAX editor! :-))

It was fun driving your xml2rfc wizard.

Nico
--