Subject: [Tools-discuss] Two problems in Drafts submission (was: I-D Action: draft-duerst-eai-mailto-01.txt)

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:45:01 +0900

I would like to report two problems with the automatic IETF Draft 
submission and surrounding tools. For an example, please see the I-D 
Action announcement at the end of this mail.

1) Certain characters in Internet-Draft titles (such as apostrophes and
    angle brackets) get escaped to HTML/XML numeric character references,
    which is inappropriate and unreadable in text/plain. I have reported
    this problem to tools-discuss previously, but maybe that was the
    wrong place.

2) The tool doesn't correctly extract my name (Martin Duerst), instead
    it picks up my organization (Aoyama Gakuin University). The
    submission page for this is at
 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/status/35282/0c80c33fdb742b7fbc07f1f4a21f3a83/
    The 'reason' for this seems to be that the line with my name in the
    "Authors' Addresses" section is folded. Nevertheless, this is new,
    it didn't happen previously, so it should be possible to fix it.
    (I'm sorry I submitted the draft with what turns out to be wrong
    metainformation.)

Regards,    Martin.

On 2011/09/07 10:30, [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>
> 	Title           : The&#39;mailto&#39; URI/IRI Scheme
> 	Author(s)       : Aoyama Gakuin University
>                            Larry Masinter
>                            Jamie Zawinski
> 	Filename        : draft-duerst-eai-mailto-01.txt
> 	Pages           : 21
> 	Date            : 2011-09-06
>
>     This document defines the format of Uniform Resource Identifiers
>     (URIs) and Internationalized Resource Identfiers (IRIs) to identify
>     resources that are reached using Internet mail.  It adds the
>     possibility to use Email Address Internationalization (EAI) email
>     addresses (RFC4952bis) to the previous syntax of&#39;mailto&#39; URIs (RFC
>     6068).
>
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-01.txt
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-eai-mailto-01.txt
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:16:47 +0200

On 2011-09-07 03:45, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> ...
> ...

<brokenrecord>
If the submission tool accepted XML as primary format, it would have a 
much simpler time to extract the metadata correctly.
</brokenrecord>

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:06:40 +0200

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your report.  Some inline comments:

>     this problem to tools-discuss previously, but maybe that was the

The best place would be the datatracker issue tracker, and a link to that
will appear in the datatracker itself with the next release.  It's at
   http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/

>     (I'm sorry I submitted the draft with what turns out to be wrong

I think you expect too much of a tool which has to apply heuristics in order
to extract author names from plain-text format where people are prone to vary
the formatting as they please.  If you keep to the conventions most people
use, you're most likely going to be OK with the new code which was put in
place a few months ago -- it works for nearly all drafts now, while the old
tool produced a horrible amount of bad author data.  But if you give the tool
something like this, and expects it to do the right thing before it's updated
and tweaked to handle the situation, I think you expect too much.  From your
draft:

>>    Martin Duerst (Note: Please write "Duerst" with u-umlaut wherever
>>                  possible, for example as "D&#252;rst" in XML and HTML.)

I've now tweaked the author extraction code to handle this case successfully
too; it will be part of the next datatracker release.  But things would have
worked better if you'd put the parentheses on a separate line this time.
(I'm absolutely sympathetic to the desire to have your name rendered properly
in a richer character set than ascii; please don't misunderstand my comment
as any kind of objection to this -- it's just that it's not so easy to do
correct automatic author extraction from draft text as people seem to think
...)

Regards,

	Henrik

> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>