Subject: [Tools-discuss] Plugins for Firefox to do draft searches and draft/RFC HTML downloads

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:02:42 +0100

Hi.

After the discussions of the demise of Watersprings.org and the moaning 
about the need for too much typing I decided I would (re-)create some 
plugins for the Firefox search box.

Download the attachments into the serachplugins sub-directory of the 
Firefox installation directory and restart Firefox.  Its easy enough to 
customize the plugins if you want a specific WG/RG because you are 
dealing with it all the time.

I'd like the searches to download the HTML or text etc to taste if the 
search finds only one draft, but the 404 error handler doesn't deal with 
extra parameters at the mome

Hope these might be useful.

Regards,
Elwyn

-- 
The Cambridge Oxfam Walk 2011 has happened. There will be another walk next year.  In the meantime please donate to Oxfam.
For more information, see http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/fundraise/walk/ and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CambOxfamWalk.

---

From: Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:37:05 +0300

BTW, datatracker.ietf.org also has a search plugin (not just Firefox;
works at least with IE and Chrome, too). No need to download anything
manually; in Firefox, an option 'Add "IETF Datatracker Search"' should
appear in the search box dropdown when you go to the site.

Best regards,
Pasi

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 00:02, Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Download the attachments into the serachplugins sub-directory of the Firefox
> installation directory and restart Firefox.  Its easy enough to customize
> the plugins if you want a specific WG/RG because you are dealing with it all
> the time.
>
> The Cambridge Oxfam Walk 2011 has happened. There will be another walk next
> year.  In the meantime please donate to Oxfam.
> For more information, see
> http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/fundraise/walk/ and follow us on
> Twitter at http://twitter.com/CambOxfamWalk.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
>

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:51:11 +0200

On 11 October 2011 13:37, Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> manually; in Firefox, an option 'Add "IETF Datatracker Search"'
> should appear in the search box dropdown when you go to the site.

The <http://tools.ietf.org> page does not yet offer a rel="search"
OpenSearch Description Document in its header.  Elwyn's snippets are
in the Mozilla format, I can't tell if IE 7+ or Chrome support this.

If you want in essence the same as Elwyn's HTML search, but based on
the <http://www.OpenSearch.org> format, feel free to grab my search
from <http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/googlets/ietftool.a9.xml>.

In theory OpenSearch Description Documents can be installed with the
AddSearchProvider() JavaScript API, e.g., look for the "ietftool" on
<http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/googlets/index.html>.  In practice it is
as you said simpler to use the "auto-detect" feature based on the
rel="search" link relation in "modern" (= better than IE6) browsers.

AFAIK the link must be relative for some "same origin" policy, i.e.,
if ietf.tools.org wants to offer a rel="search" it also has to host
the OpenSearch Description Document.

The MIME type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" as used on the
datatracker page is not registered, but the "search" link relation is
"official", FWIW.

-Frank