Subject: [Tools-discuss] The tools repository

From: Harish Pillay 9v1hp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:02:19 +0800

Hi.  I came across http://tools.ietf.org/about and I woud like to
chat with someone regarding some work I am doing (as a volunteer)
for the ISO/IEC JTC1.

I am the covenor of a Ad-Hoc of the JTC 1 called "Enabling Tools" whose
charter is to look at tools to collaborate and help create standards that
the various standards committees, working groups of the JTC1 can use.

Today, these various subgroups do what works for them in general. They
are welcome to use tools made available by the ISO (Webex and a
CRM-tool from OpenText).

I am convenor of this Ad-hoc and the group comprises interested people
from various national bodies.  I am a volunteer with the Singapore IT
Standards Committee (www.itsc.org.sg) and me convening this ad-hoc
is purely because I attended the JTC1 plenary in Belfast in 2010 as a
rep from the Singapore national body and when the call came from the
plenary for someone to head up the ad-hoc, I raised my hand.

I am very partial to how IETF does stuff and I think IETF's model of
standards-making is the right model. I would like to take the ideas of
IETF and influence ISO/IEC JTC 1.  I think starting at collaboration
tools would be a good start and so I'd like to hear from someone on
this.

Thanks.
-- 
Harish Pillay [email-masked] gpg id: 746809E3

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:44:46 -0800

> tools would be a good start and so I'd like to hear from someone on

There are two broad categories of such tools: workflow and participation. The Tools Team traditionally focuses on workflow: WG mailing lists, issue trackers, document update tracking and retrieval, and a few others. Participation tools (Jabber, meeting broadcasting over audio, ...) has been done by the Secretariat. Your message above covers both types of tools.

Recently, I have been contracted by the IETF to come up with the requirements for improving the participation tools, but not the workflow tools. I'll contact you separately about talking about JTC1 and participation tools, but you should keep talking to the folks here about the workflow tools and their applicability / availability to JTC1.

--Paul Hoffman