Subject: [Tools-discuss] Printing from tools.ietf.org/html prints one page too much

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:16:58 +0900

Dear tools experts,

I started to realize in the last few days that printing from 
tools.ietf.org/html prints one page too much, in all browsers I have 
tried (Opera, IE, Firefox, Chrome all on Windows; I tried Safari but 
that currently crashes when trying to print or print preview).

I very much like to look at drafts in that version (because the drafts 
and RFCs look like "the real thing", but there are working links, and 
because that format prints without problems in all browsers that I use).

However, it seems to always print one page too much, and I have traced 
the problem down as follows. If you look at the source of 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-04 as an example, 
it ends with

Moonesamy, et al.        Expires August 23, 2012               [Page 12]
</pre><pre class='newpage'>

</pre><br />
<span class="noprint"><small><small>Html markup produced by rfcmarkup 
1.98, available from
<a 
href="http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcmarkup/">http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcmarkup/</a>
</small></small></span>
</body></html>

The "<pre class='newpage'> ... </pre>" is one too much. I suspect this 
is the result of simply converting an FF ("form feed") character to the 
class='newpage' markup. Removing any FF before the end of a file (files 
produced with xml2rfc seem to end in FFCRLF, but there might be other 
patterns from other tools) before the whole conversion should be one way 
to solve this problem easily.

If there's a tracker this should go into, please tell me.

Thanks (from all the saved trees),    Martin.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:25:03 +0100

Hi Martin,

On 2012-03-13 09:16 "Martin J. Dürst" said:
...
> to solve this problem easily.

Spot on.

Fixed in v1.100, released now.

Thanks for the report and analysis!

Best regards,

	Henrik