Subject: [Tools-discuss] individual web pages to support public ietf tools and technologies?

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:27:25 -0400

Howdy.

There are some IETF-based technologies and tools that are public-facing 
and go beyond internal IETF work.  xml2rfc might be an example.  abnf 
certainly is.

For technologies processed through the IETF, there is usually an outside 
community with a web page for all of the pre- and post-standards 
activities.  Documents, discussion, etc.

The trigger for this note is abnf.  It has no 'home' for tools, 
documents or the like but I suspect it should have one.

ABNF is so much a creature of the IETF community, I'm wondering whether 
it should have something like augmented-bnf.org, rather than (for 
example) augmented-bnf.org.

Thoughts?

d/
-- 
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:19:05 -0700

On 5/8/2012 8:27 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> The trigger for this note is abnf. It has no 'home' for tools, documents
> or the like but I suspect it should have one.
>

There is an author tools page where some of the tools are linked - 
including my Word template, among other things.

Are you assuming more than that, i.e., a separate page per tool? 
Wouldn't that logically sit below the tools page?

Joe

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 13:22:57 -0400

> Wouldn't that logically sit below the tools page?

I am assuming more than that.

I'm classing the sort of thing you cited as "internal" to the IETF.  In 
contrast, ABNF is of utility outside the IETF.

That said, the model of a separate page per tool probably works for 
this, too.

However I don't seem to find a table with links to the existing such pages.

d/

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:28:21 -0700

> However I don't seem to find a table with links to the existing such pages.

The tools pages haven't been updated in a while AFAICT.

Regarding the need for a separate ABNF page - if on the tools site, 
that's easy (if someone does it). If not, then someone needs to step up 
and create this, no?

Joe

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 13:37:36 -0400

>> However I don't seem to find a table with links to the existing such
...
> that's easy (if someone does it). If not, then someone needs to step up

if someone wants to give me admin access to abnf.tools.ietf.org (or 
whatever the name should be) I'm glad to take that on.

d/