Subject: [Tools-discuss] audio archive links on sidr wg page

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:12:32 +0000

Links to the audio archive on the sidr tools site minutes page fail (details below)

A random search through half a dozen other wg pages report the same.

This must be due to the fact that the tools page is set up with the correct link for the duration of the IETF, and not updated when the audio archive is moved to the official proceedings site.

But some wg members have been alarmed that the archive is not found.  Yes, I've corrected them and pointed to the proceedings page, but it would be nice to have some indication on the tools site - either update the link (ok, maybe hard) or say "this link functional only for the duration of the meeting" or some such.

--Sandy, sidr co-chair

On the sidr tools site minutes page

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/minutes

there are links for the audio streams that point to

ietf83streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf832.m3u

which has only a 41 byte file that contains

http://nagasaki.bogus.com:8000/stream02

which reports "The file you requested could not be found"

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 09:41:47 -0700

Hi Sandra,

[fixed chairs email alias]

>Links to the audio archive on the sidr tools site minutes page fail 

The links at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/minutes do not 
fail.  Session "2012-03-26 1300-1500: 241" and Session "2012-03-28 
0900-1130: 241" are for the audio streams.  This is a real-time 
stream available during the meeting and not after the meeting.

>  them and pointed to the proceedings page, but it would be nice to 
> have some indication on the tools site - either update the link 
> (ok, maybe hard) or say "this link functional only for the duration 
> of the meeting" or some such.

I suggest disabling the "Audio stream" and WG "chatroom" links after 
a meeting.  Alternatively, a note could be added mentioning that the 
above links are only accessible during the session.

It would have been easier if the actual link was included in the 
minutes instead of suggesting the approach at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg04713.html

Regards,
-sm

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:35:44 +0000

>[fixed chairs email alias]

Looks like you changed the [email-masked] to [email-masked] - I thought [email-masked] was the "official" version.  No?

>stream available during the meeting and not after the meeting.

For me and others, the links do not find the right file.

I don't quite grok this paragraph.  You say "do not fail' and then "available ... not after the meeting".  Which is it, "works now" or "worked in the past but not now"?

>above links are only accessible during the session.

Either works for me!

>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg04713.html

It would indeed be good to put the archive link in the minutes.  I point to the www.ietf.org/audio/ietf83 page in my meeting agenda slides.  Is there a pre-announcement of the "ietf83-241-20120326-1256-pm.mp3" part of the name so it's available for putting in the minutes?  If so, I'll look for it next time and be sure it gets into the minutes.

--Sandy
________________________________________
From: SM [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:41 PM
To: Murphy, Sandra
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] audio archive links on sidr wg page

Hi Sandra,

Regards,
-sm

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:06:24 -0700

Hi Sandra,
At 10:35 31-05-2012, Murphy, Sandra wrote:
>Looks like you changed the [email-masked] to [email-masked] - I 
>thought [email-masked] was the "official" version.  No?

Your Cc was to sidr-chairs@ instead of sidr@.  [email-masked] is for 
the SIDR mailing list.

>For me and others, the links do not find the right file.

The link is to listen to the audio as for a live broadcast.  It is 
not a link to the recording of the broadcast.

>I don't quite grok this paragraph.  You say "do not fail' and then 
>"available ... not after the meeting".  Which is it, "works now" or 
>"worked in the past but not now"?

Some events have live streaming, for example, 
http://ietf83streaming.dnsalias.net/ietf/ietf832.m3u  That is not the 
same as 
http://www.ietf.org/audio/ietf83/ietf83-241-20120326-1256-pm.mp3  The 
link to the mp3 file is the one that works after the meeting.  If 
someone wants to listen to what happened during the SIDR IETF83 
session, they cannot use the "live streaming" link anymore.

>It would indeed be good to put the archive link in the minutes.  I 
>point to the www.ietf.org/audio/ietf83 page in my meeting agenda 
>slides.  Is there a pre-announcement of the 
>"ietf83-241-20120326-1256-pm.mp3" part of the name so it's available 
>for putting in the minutes?  If so, I'll look for it next time and 
>be sure it gets into the minutes.

No, the person who needs the audio recording will have to go and find 
that out.  If you point to the www.ietf.org/audio/ietf83 page, the 
person will have to go and figure out what is the actual 
filename.  It is not easy for a participant who is not familiar with the IETF.

Here's some minutes with links to the audio files:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/minutes
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/spfbis/minutes

The ALTO example is unusual as one of the WG Chairs does some 
post-processing so that participants can find the audio recording of 
an item on the agenda.  There was a thread about audio recordings for 
IETF83 ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg72765.html ).

Regards,
-sm

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:01:10 +0000

Right, [email-masked] is for the wg.  Misspoke my question.  Substitute sidr-chairs in all cases.  I sent to [email-masked], you "fixed" it to [email-masked]‎.  Why?  Is [email-masked]‎ the correct/official version?

You suggested putting a link to the recording in the minutes which is absolutely the ideal no question, but the IETF list thread  you point to makes the point that the full stable URL for the recording is not always available when the minutes are being prepared, which was my point.  No real reason to continue this topic.

To get back to my original message.  I'm happy that you suggest that the minutes page for the tools wg sites could be clarified that the audio stream link is not available after the meeting. 

--Sandy
________________________________________
From: SM [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:06 PM
To: Murphy, Sandra
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Tools-discuss] audio archive links on sidr wg page

Hi Sandra,

Regards,
-sm

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 13:45:42 -0700

Hi Sandra,
At 13:01 31-05-2012, Murphy, Sandra wrote:
>Right, [email-masked] is for the wg.  Misspoke my 
>question.  Substitute sidr-chairs in all 
>cases.  I sent to [email-masked], you 
>"fixed" it to 
>[email-masked].  Why?  Is 
>[email-masked] the correct/official version?

According to information from tools.ietf.org the 
[email-masked] email alias can be 
used to reach the WG Chairs.  I used the email 
address which I presume will work instead of 
trying to figure out the official version.

Regards,
-sm