Subject: [Tools-discuss] Some feedback on Community Tracking Capabilities

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:26:00 +0200

Hi,

First of all thanks for bringing this online. I have missed this since I
stepped down from the IESG where I got used to my personal page over
documents needing to be watched or actions.

However, I have spotted some things that could be improved:

1. In the list over tracked draft you have a column for "Status in the
IETF process". It doesn't seem to reflect the IESG or WG state at all.
It only states active for all my drafts. I would like to see if it is in
WG last call, or have been requested publication, in IETF last call, in
IESG approval or approved. At least the main steps in the process is
what I expect to see here.

2. The column Associated WG or RG is only populated by adopted WG
documents. I personally would like to see candidate WG documents
directly after the WG documents when I have selected the display
customization Sort method "Alphabetical by associated WG".

3. The sorting also on WG level appears broken as I get my documents in
the order AVTCORE docs, Individual, 6man, MMUSIC, RTCWEB. That appears
broken at least in two ways. The first is why individual appears after
AVTCORE and not first or last. The next issue is why 6man comes after
avtcore.

4. On the page Explicitly added. I would suggest to have a button
"Search to Add" or at least something more prominent than a link at the
end of the text line.

5. I don't find any "add to tracked list" on either the WG overviews nor
on the individual document. At least the document specific should have a
link that adds it a tracked list.

6. The left menu bar is to narrow now that you have the "<WG name>
tracked I-Ds" there. My "avtcore" link item becomes folded over two
lines. Not pretty and consuming extra space.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 13:37:58 +0200

Hi Magnus,

> what I expect to see here.

Should not be too hard to fix.  Noted.

> customization Sort method "Alphabetical by associated WG".

That probably requires a separate query, and would be dependent on
WG chairs explicitly marking associated documents as such.  I'll put
this on the to-do list, too, but I suspect you'll get results which
closer to what you want by using the rule type 
 'All I-Ds that contain a particular text string in the name'
and set it to -<acronym>-, for instance '-6man-' for 6man-associated
drafts.

> AVTCORE and not first or last. The next issue is why 6man comes after

Right, that's kind of a bug; the sorting is now done on the WG title,
rather than the WG acronym.  Will fix in a minute.

> "Search to Add" or at least something more prominent than a link at the

No problem, will fix.

> link that adds it a tracked list.

Good points; I don't think that was mentioned in the spec., which is
probably why the contractor hasn't put it in; this could be something
for the upcoming code sprint to add.  Feature tickets in the issue
tracker (http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/) marked 'sprint', would be
much appreciated for these.

> lines. Not pretty and consuming extra space.

Hmm.  Right; that didn't occur for the examples I tested, but would of
course come out that way for the longer WG names.  I'll see what I can
come up with; suggestions welcomed.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:05:13 +0200

Hi again Magnus,

> Should not be too hard to fix.  Noted.

This was a bit more work than I'd thought it would be, mostly because
of setting up the various conditionals in order not to display all the
state information for every document (for published RFCs, the WG and
IESG states are pretty much irrelevant, for instance).

There's a preview available here:
  https://tracker.tools.ietf.org/community/personal/

Note that the backing database is from around noon CEST today.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:20:41 +0200

Hi Magnus,

>> However, I have spotted some things that could be improved:

...

> rather than the WG acronym.  Will fix in a minute.

Fixed now.

>> "Search to Add" or at least something more prominent than a link at the

Fixed now.

> come up with; suggestions welcomed.

Fixed now.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:58:48 +0200

> Note that the backing database is from around noon CEST today.

Thanks, but I don't see any different for my personal page on the
development side. And that is not due to stale stae in the backing data
base.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:26:35 +0200

...

> development side. And that is not due to stale stae in the backing data

Please update your display customization settings, and look again.

	Henrik

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:47:13 +0200

Thanks,

Looks good now.

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund