Subject: [Tools-discuss] Bug in my tracked list

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:43:22 +0200

Hi,

I think I have found a bug in my tracked ID list.

First of all I have this rule:

Rule	                                Value	        Documents	
All I-Ds with a particular author 	Westerlund 	15 documents 	

Then I have added some drafts that I added manually which matches this
rule. Most notably because they had expired and I still wanted the
listed. The ones added are:

draft-ietf-payload-rtp-howto
draft-westerlund-avtcore-rtp-simulcast
draft-westerlund-avtext-rtcp-sdes-srcname
draft-westerlund-dispatch-stream-selection

Then if you do a search with wild care in search box and the same
Westerlund string in the Author advanced option like this:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/search/?name=&rfcs=on&activeDrafts=on&by=author&author=Westerlund&search_submit=

Then you will see that at the moment I actually have 19 active drafts.

There is a mismatch between the number the rule detects and what a
manual search finds.

I the following drafts was submitted/updated in the last 24 hours:
draft-westerlund-avtcore-multi-media-rtp-session-00
draft-lennox-avtcore-rtp-multi-stream-00
draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-security-options-00
draft-ietf-payload-rtp-howto-02

What I can see only the last of the new ones are included. And that is
the one that is added manually (explicitly). So something is broken with
when or how the rule based inclusion is run and updated.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:14:00 +0200

Hi Magnus,

Updates to the draft set defined by the tracked I-D rules are done
by a cron script.  I've changed the frequency of this to check for
changes every 12 hours.  Your lists should now be up-to-date.

We can increase the frequency to every hour, if that is desired.

Thanks for the report!

Best regards,

	Henrik

On 2012-07-10 14:43 Magnus Westerlund said:
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:22:03 -0700

> We can increase the frequency to every hour, if that is desired.

That is definitely desired. It is useful on days like today where I want to know which of the docs I'm tracking actually did an update. It is also useful during IETF weeks to know an hour ahead of a WG meeting if some author changed a draft.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:54:40 +0200

Hi Paul

On 2012-07-16 16:22 Paul Hoffman said:
> That is definitely desired. It is useful on days like today where I
> want to know which of the docs I'm tracking actually did an update.
> It is also useful during IETF weeks to know an hour ahead of a WG
> meeting if some author changed a draft.

Both of those happen without any need for the cron script, triggered
by database updates.  The script only needs to be run to re-evaluate
the rules, to update list of drafts defined by the rules.

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:00:04 -0700

> the rules, to update list of drafts defined by the rules.

Ah, sorry, I missed the linkage there. Thanks. It might still be useful to run the cron job hourly because people who add documents to their pile will expect to start seeing results "soon" if not "immediately". We always expect our tools to do so.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:21:27 +0200

Hi Paul,

On 2012-07-16 17:00 Paul Hoffman said the following:
>>> That is definitely desired. It is useful on days like today where
>>> I want to know which of the docs I'm tracking actually did an
>>> update. It is also useful during IETF weeks to know an hour ahead
>>> of a WG meeting if some author changed a draft.
>> 
>> Both of those happen without any need for the cron script,
>> triggered by database updates.  The script only needs to be run to
>> re-evaluate the rules, to update list of drafts defined by the
>> rules.
> 
> 
> Ah, sorry, I missed the linkage there. Thanks. It might still be
> useful to run the cron job hourly because people who add documents to
> their pile will expect to start seeing results "soon" if not
> "immediately". We always expect our tools to do so.

They do; all lists are populated immediately when you set up a rule.
The cron-script is only needed to re-evaluate the rules, to update the
already populated lists of drafts defined by the rules when new drafts
have appeared that weren't caught by the initial evaluation.

	Henrik

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 20:30:48 +0200

Hi Henrik,

I would suggest that you set this to 1 hour. I have to say that I my
expetance was that any document in the datatracker matching any of my
rules should show up the moment it is available. So 1 hour please.

In addition maybe the rules page should have a little warning about this
so you adjust peoples expectations.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:36:36 +0200

Hi Magnus,

> rules should show up the moment it is available. So 1 hour please.

Done.

> so you adjust peoples expectations.

I'll see if there's some way we can trigger the re-computation of rules
off the appearance of new drafts instead of using the cron-job, to make
this even better.

Best regards,

	Henrik