Subject: [Tools-discuss] Milestone functionality ready

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:27:36 +0100

Hi!

The milestone functionality for WG chairs and ADs is ready. Changes:

- can add, edit and delete milestones

- additions require approval from an AD (ADs are emailed and there's a
page listing unreviewed milestones)

- can associate drafts with a milestone

- milestones appear on associated drafts

- can mark a milestone as done

- automatic reminders for due and overdue milestones

- can add milestones to new charters/recharterings

If you are interested, it would be really helpful if you would give
this test server

http://milestones.ietf.beta.iola.dk/

a spin - just try walking through what you'd normally do.

TEST NOTES

The test server is running on a local database dump from last Friday,
so you can change things as you like. Login with your usual account
and blank password. Emails are suppressed, unless you go to

http://milestones.ietf.beta.iola.dk/accounts/testemail/

and fill in your information - then you'll get email you produce forwarded.

Also note that some information outside the database dump may be
missing from the test server so some links may be dead. In particular,
the server is probably missing some of the charter texts.

Ole

---

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:49:54 +0100

> a spin - just try walking through what you'd normally do.

I.e., go to a WG page (like
http://milestones.ietf.beta.iola.dk/wg/geopriv/), click the charter
tab, login with the link in the top right (usual username, blank
password), and there should be an add/edit link next to the Milestones
headline.

Ole

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:21:24 +0100

> password), and there should be an add/edit link next to the Milestones

Hi,

I have reviewed this and have some comments.

First on the charter page, can you please make the "add/edit Milestone"
link a button or at least some clearer indication that this is "do
something" link rather than an information link.

On the edit page I have these comments:

1. When clicking to edit an milestone, could we get a color box around
the item opened for editing so that one clearer see the boundaries of
the item one is actually editing.

2. Clicking on an item opens it up. But as long as staying on the edit
page with the "Review Changes" button they stay open, even if nothing is
changed. This makes it a bit unclear what one has actually edited. And
if one has many milestones, like some of my WGs it gets a bit crowded. I
would prefer if none edited ones are collapsed when selecting another
milestone.

3. I would like to get clear indication of which items are actually
edited. I think a "pink" or second color box around the items that has
been edited would be nice. Thus one can more easily determine if one has
fucked up and need to cancel rather than press review changes.

4. As a WG chair the "delete" checkbox appears to not be possible to
use? If it intended to work as a chair but requires approval, then I
think it should say so. If it is not intended to work, why does I as WG
chair see it?

5. When reviewing my changes. It would be good if the milestone having
been changed actually was marked in some way.

6. Why does the edit/page have a save button prior to applying any
changes. This will either result in extra work and likely cases when one
forget to press save because it is always there, not only when there is
a reason to press it.

7. Why is the "back" a link and the "Save" / "Review changes" a button.
looks a bit strange next to each other.

8. Possibly "back" should change to "Cancel", if that is what happens if
I have none-saved changes.

But in general the functionality appears to have some utility and I
understand that there will be services coupled to these state in the
future that will be useful. The auto-suggest for draft names is very
nice feature.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:31:11 +0100

Hi!

Thanks for the review! I think I fixed all your comments.

> something" link rather than an information link.

I've styled it like a button now.

> the item one is actually editing.

I've increased the spacing - it's not entirely easy to define what's
currently being edited.

> would prefer if none edited ones are collapsed when selecting another

True. I've fixed this. It's not 100% perfect in that you can change
something and change it back. To make it perfect, I would need to
export the full state to Javascript, but that's a bigger change.

> fucked up and need to cancel rather than press review changes.

Now that they collapse, I think this is much more clear.

> use?

This turned out to be a bug in the review page that it didn't show you
that the milestone was being deleted. Fixed.

> been changed actually was marked in some way.

Right, fixed.

> changes.
Right, fixed.

> looks a bit strange next to each other.

I've reused the button design for both now.

> I have none-saved changes.

Good point. It's now cancel.

Ole

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:35:10 +0100

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick updates. I think this resolves my issue
satisfactory.

Cheers

Magnus

On 2012-12-05 22:31, Ole Laursen wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
> 
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund