Subject: [Tools-discuss] Querying a failure mode in I-D submission

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:47:10 +0000

Hi,

Is the following a possible bug in the I-D submission system?

It's only speculation, but I think this has happened to me twice now.

1. I verify a new (non-WG, -00) draft via http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/
(with one warning, see below**).

2. Then I attempt to submit it via https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/upload.cgi

The system comes back with "Your draft has NOT been verified to meet IDNITS requirements. (View IDNITS Results)"
and the nits results are completely blank (https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/status/47888/#)

Last time this happened I submitted a ticket without result, and when I
tried the submission again a day later, it worked fine. This time, I will
try again tomorrow...

Is it possible that the manual idnits run is leaving behind some state that causes
the idnits run during the upload to fail?

** The warning that I get is:

  == Couldn't figure out when the document was first submitted -- there may
     comments or warnings related to the use of a disclaimer for pre-RFC5378
     work that could not be issued because of this.  Please check the Legal
     Provisions document at http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info to determine
     if you need the pre-RFC5378 disclaimer.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter