Subject: [Tools-discuss] referring to IESG review of comments

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:02:51 -0500

On an IESG Evaluation, I can hit the + to bring up the comments, and
I can click on the red/green/grey box to bring it up, and then on the
left I can pick the balloon to scroll to an individual comment.

I find it annoying that I get this pop-up, that I can't middle click
to get it in a new tab.  When I pick comments from on AD, the URL
at the top of my screen changes to
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/GROUP/#IESGMEMBER

which isn't really useful.

When I copy-link-address, I get, (for this specific case):
  http://datatracker.ietf.org/streams/draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl/history

and I want Brian Haberman's comments, so I tried:
  http://datatracker.ietf.org/streams/draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl/history/#brian-haberman

but it didn't scroll to the right place.... Would this kind of thing
be desireable?  

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works 
IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:15:38 +0100

Hi Michael,

One rather fundamental question, and some comments, inline:

On 2013-02-07 15:02 Michael Richardson said:
> On an IESG Evaluation,

Umm.  I can think of several places to find these, but I don't seem to
find one that matches your description.  An example URL, please?

> I can hit the + to bring up the comments, and
> to get it in a new tab.

Ok.  I don't have enough javascript foo to know if it's possible to
differentiate left, right, and middle-click for this case, though.

>  When I pick comments from on AD, the URL

Agreed.

> but it didn't scroll to the right place.... Would this kind of thing

I think yes, provided we first arrange for a modified version of this view
to be available in a separate tab.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:01:04 +0100

>> left I can pick the balloon to scroll to an individual comment.

I guess you are talking about the ballot icons that appear in the
draft tables, e.g. on a WG

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/

The way this is constructed has annoyed me for some time, so I'm
planning to fix this problem when I get to it in the cleanup project.

(The unobtrusive way to design this is to make the icon a proper link,
then add the popup behaviour through Javascript for left-click. The
right-click handler is an abomination, but I guess some people may be
used to it so I plan on porting it over.)

The + popup is somewhat odd, it actually just shows some history for
the document, coincidentally in your case those are the ballot
comments. I'm currently of the opinion that the + popup doesn't make
sense with the new database schema, so if someone is using it, please
speak up. :)

Ole

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:53:36 -0500

>>>>> "Henrik" == Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> writes:

    Henrik> Umm.  I can think of several places to find these, but I
    Henrik> don't seem to find one that matches your description.  An
    Henrik> example URL, please?

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/
click on + or green/red/review for
       draft-ietf-roll-p2p-measurement-09
or     draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl-16

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 19:03:20 +0100

Hi Michael,

> or     draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl-16

Ah. Thank you.  Then I know exactly what you're thinking of.

Suggestions for alternative implementations of the popup pane which would
also let you get to a separate page would be welcome :-)

Best regards,

	Henrik