Subject: [Tools-discuss] datatracker chairs extensions not working for IRTF RG chairs

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:08:59 +0000

Hi,

I had an IRTF RG chair confirm that they still cannot use the datatracker extensions for chairs.

Ole, I think folks during the RFC Editor lunch today said that you were the correct person to look into that?

Lars

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [irsg] guinea pig needed
> Date: March 13, 2013 13:56:14 EDT
> To: Internet Research Steering Group <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi,
> 
> could one of you RG chairs please:
> 
> 1. go to https://datatracker.ietf.org/
> 2. sign in
> 3. search for an ID belonging to your RG
> 4. click on it
> 5. see if you get some of the "Adopt in WG" etc. management links and can use them
> 
> I'm trying to find out if access for you guys has been set up or if I am still the only one who has access.
> 
> Thanks,
> Lars

---

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:35:41 +0100

> Ole, I think folks during the RFC Editor lunch today said that you were the correct person to look into that?

tl;dr version: the new schema makes this relatively straightforward
but we're not there yet

Longer summary of my understanding:

The chairs extension requirements RFC only talked about WG chairs for
some reason, and the contractor implementing it only made it support
WG chairs. They were also still on the old database schema so it would
certainly have been more difficult to do otherwise.

When I ported the extension to the new schema, I switched out the
models underneath so they are more generic. So the foundation is in
place, but the upper layer is still framed in terms of WGs and
contains WG-specific code.

Right now I'm working on porting the upper layers to work directly
with the new models. I'm doing this step by step with the aim of
getting individual steps merged into trunk ASAP. Unfortunately, these
steps to be merged are in competition with other things people are
doing that needs merging so I don't think anything's been merged yet.

Also, as I understand things, it's not really in my charter to change
or add functionality while I'm doing this, this conflicts with getting
the porting done ASAP. I do fix minor things and simplify some code,
and in the case of the chairs extension I do intend to reframe it to
be more generic. But I suspect there may still be some gaps of
functionality that someone has to fill in for it to work for RG
chairs.

I did fix a bunch of other issues with RGs already, some during the DB
schema project, and some during the IANA/RFC-Editor integration
project so things are definitely in better shape than a year ago.

Ole