Subject: [Tools-discuss] Proper scrolling in iOS

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:34:10 -0400

On the IESG agenda page, the overlays with the document ballots use a div
with "overflow-y: scroll;"  That's fine, but on iOS it causes the page to
scroll very slowly. Could we please add an additional CSS attribute to
those divs, "-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch"?

<http://johanbrook.com/browsers/native-momentum-scrolling-ios-5/>

Thanks,
--Richard

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:50:40 -0500

On 4/11/13 14:34, Richard Barnes wrote:
> On the IESG agenda page, the overlays with the document ballots use a 
> div with "overflow-y: scroll;"  That's fine, but on iOS it causes the 
> page to scroll very slowly. Could we please add an additional CSS 
> attribute to those divs, "-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch"?
>

http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/02/webkit-isnt-breaking-the-web-you-are/

/a

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 20:22:53 +0000

> http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/02/webkit-isnt-breaking-the-web-you-are/

I think this argues for leaving in the standard css, not for leaving out the webkit css.

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:52:32 -0500

> I think this argues for leaving in the standard css, not for leaving out the webkit css.

Or using the user agent string to figure out what CSS to send.

Nico
--

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:07:38 +0200

On 2013-04-11 22:52, Nico Williams wrote:
> ...

Nooooo.

Just use a device where you have an actual choice of browsers.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Ole Laursen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:15:27 +0200

2013/4/11 Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>:
> scroll very slowly. Could we please add an additional CSS attribute to those
> divs, "-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch"?
>

I've recently rewritten the popups on my cleanup branch (this should
also allow you to open the ballots in a new tab), but I'm guessing
you'd have the same problem. So I've added that statement to the CSS
in my repository. I'll have to try it on an iOS device to see what
happens.

What I don't understand is why the Webkit team at Apple just don't fix
this once and for all.

Ole

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:08:19 -0500

>> Or using the user agent string to figure out what CSS to send.

If there can be vendor-specific prefixes then there must be a
conditional somewhere in order to use them, or you must use all of
them :) or you must have a vendor-specific site.  Pick your poison.

> Just use a device where you have an actual choice of browsers.

So, if a site looks bad in one browser, switch to a different one, and
play this game with every site?  /me checks the date.  No, it's not
April Fool's today.

Nico
--

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:38:33 +0200

> them :) or you must have a vendor-specific site.  Pick your poison.

UA sniffing is the worst possible poison.

> play this game with every site?  /me checks the date.  No, it's not

The suggestion was to use a platform where you have a choice. You don't 
on iOS. Enough said.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:49:16 -0400

> I think this argues for leaving in the standard css, not for leaving out

+1