Subject: [Tools-discuss] Fwd: Re: procedural question with remote participation

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 02:37:52 -0600

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: procedural question with remote participation
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 02:37:27 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
CC: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>, Dan York <[email-masked]>,  "Olle
E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On 8/4/13 4:41 PM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
> 
> On Aug 3, 2013, at 7:25 PM, John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
> 
>> First, probably to the "when meetings begin" part, but noting that
>> someone who gets onto the audio a few minutes late is in exactly
>> the same situation as someone who walks into the meeting room a few
>> minutes late -- announcements at the beginning of the session are
>> ineffective.
> 
> Jabber appears to have some way of setting a banner/announcement
> thing that shows up when you first join a jabber session, because
> I've seen such a thing on occasion.  I don't know if it's defined in
> some standard way in XMPP or a proprietary extension.  But assuming
> it's either standard or defacto and popular, we could put the NOTE
> WELL in it (or a URL to a NOTE WELL).
> 
> Likewise for the IETF web pages with the audio links, so that you see
> the NOTE WELL before clicking the audio link.  Or even have an
> annoying pop-up if you prefer. (ugh)

I don't want to promise too much, but in time for Vancouver I'll
probably finish some code that sends you all sorts of helpful
information when you join the jabber room. There is a standardized "room
subject" message but not all IM clients show you that, so I plan to have
it sent as a one-off message when you join the chatroom.

Further discussion, if any, on the [email-masked] list.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:06:32 +0200

> it sent as a one-off message when you join the chatroom.

Remember to remember that you sent the message to user X for room Y
within the last time T (maybe T=1 hour), to avoid having users with
the flakes getting the message over and over every time they bounce in
and out of the room.

Barry