Subject: [Tools-discuss] xml2rfc bug: Sorting of referenes does not work properly

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:41:42 +0200

Hi,

while using xml2rfc-2.4.2, I have discovered the following bug:

The following options are set:
<?rfc symrefs="no" ?>
<?rfc sortrefs="yes" ?>

The document uses 11 Normative Reference entries. They should be numbered 1, 
2, 3, ... and -- of  course -- be in the same order in the bibliography. 
However, the order in the bibliography is 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, ... . It seems that 
the sorting uses ASCII characters instead of correctly using the numbers.

Removing "<?rfc sortrefs="yes" ?>" finally leads to the expected result.  But 
rfc_sortrefs should only have an effect if symrefs="yes" (according to 
http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#anchor14).

-- 
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

=======================================================================
 Thomas Dreibholz

 Simula Research Laboratory
 Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
 Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
 Mailing address:  P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://simula.no/people/dreibh
=======================================================================

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:50:22 +0200

> http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#anchor14).

Are you aware that symrefs=no has been discouraged for a very long time?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:24:33 +0200

Onsdag 16. oktober 2013 17.50.22 skrev Julian Reschke:
> > The document uses 11 Normative Reference entries. They should be numbered
> > 1, 2, 3, ... and -- of  course -- be in the same order in the
> > bibliography. However, the order in the bibliography is 1, 10, 11, 2, 3,
> > ... . It seems that the sorting uses ASCII characters instead of
> > correctly using the numbers.
> > 
> > Removing "<?rfc sortrefs="yes" ?>" finally leads to the expected result. 
> > But rfc_sortrefs should only have an effect if symrefs="yes" (according
> > to http://xml.resource.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html#anchor14).
> 

I just wanted to count the number of references in the document. When I 
temporarily set symrefs=no for that purpose, I discovered the bug.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:26:18 -0700

This should go to the [email-masked] mailing list.

--Paul Hoffman