Subject: [Tools-discuss] Missing obsoleted link

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:35:21 -0800

RFC 4244 is obsoleted by RFC 7044.  This is in the datatracker, but
it's not showing on http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4244

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 03:20:38 +0100

Hi Martin,

> it's not showing on http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4244

Yes, since the htmlized RFCs are cached on disk, they can lag a bit.
Better now?

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:24:41 -0800

> Yes, since the htmlized RFCs are cached on disk, they can lag a bit.

Yes.

They also cache in browsers.  Out of interest, is there any reason why
these pages couldn't have nice long cache retention, e.g., Expires:
now+1 week ?  The content is effectively static; only Errata changes
on timescales that might matter and browser refresh fixes that.  They
currently seem to be cached only on a heuristic basis, which means you
still get a lot of if-not-match and if-modified-since requests (and I
don't get pages while on a plane).

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:54:57 +0100

Hi Martin,

On 2014-02-21 18:24 Martin Thomson said the following:
> now+1 week ?

Not really, no.  Added to the master apache config; should propagate to
all the tools servers within an hour.

> The content is effectively static; only Errata changes

Ack.  Good point.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:27:47 -0800

> all the tools servers within an hour.

Henrik, I thought this was merely a good idea, but it's been amazing
to be able to load docs from cache.  I use tools.ietf.org a lot and
this has made a big difference.  Thanks.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 23:35:33 +0100

Hi Martin,

> this has made a big difference.  Thanks.

Ah!  Splendid :-)

Best regards,

	Henrik