Subject: [Tools-discuss] Something odd going on with DNS for xml.resource.org

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 01:08:43 +0100

Hi, Henrik.

I have been checking periodically to see if the HTML/RFCmarkup -> PDF
functions of the online xml2rfc are working again (Ticket #254) and have
observed an odd transient effect on two successive days.

Running the xml2rfc tool from a cached form has resulted in "Cannot find
server xml.resource.org" both on an initial run and a retry.

However going off and running "ping xml.resource.org" gets a ping
response from zinfandel and after that I can (un)successfully run the
xml2rfc request against xml.resource.org.

Unsuccessfully because the fontconfig issue is now fixed (presumably by
the reinstall) but there is a different problem in that wkhtmltopdf
can't find libXrender.so.1 (the ticket has been altered to reflect the
revised state of affairs).

The transient effect doesn't seem to affect xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org but
it also has the libXrender.so.1 problem (not surprisingly).

Not sure what is going on.  Maybe some sort of DNS lifetime issue?

Cheers,
Elwyn