Subject: [Tools-discuss] Idnits-2.13.00 feedback - false boilerplate error

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 16:25:32 -0700

Hi, all,

I was helping someone with the Word template, and got the following 
incorrect error. It seems that ID-NITS insists on the BSD-license 
variant of the copyright statement, even when a doc has no code or 
code-like components.

It would be useful to change this to a warning of "are you sure" 
instead. I'm not aware that even IETF-stream docs need the BSD-license 
variant if they lack code.

Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------

   Checking boilerplate required by RFC 5378 and the IETF Trust (see
   http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info):
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   ** The document seems to lack a License Notice according IETF Trust
      Provisions of 28 Dec 2009, Section 6.b.i or Provisions of 12 Sep 2009
      Section 6.b -- however, there's a paragraph with a matching beginning.
      Boilerplate error?

      IETF Trust Legal Provisions of 28-dec-2009, Section 6.b(i), 
paragraph 3:
         This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal 
Provisions
         Relating to IETF Documents (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info)
         in effect on the date of publication of this document.  Please
         review these documents carefully, as they describe your rights
         and restrictions with respect to this document.  Code Components
         extracted from this document must include Simplified BSD License
         text as described in Section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions
         and are provided without warranty as described in the Simplified
         BSD License.

      ... text found in draft:
         This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal 
Provisions
         Relating to IETF Documents (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info)
         in effect on the date of publication of this document. Please
         review these documents carefully, as they describe your rights
         and restrictions with respect to this document.
.......................................................^

   -- It seems you're using the 'non-IETF stream' Licence Notice instead

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 08:53:25 +0200

> variant if they lack code.

<http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/IETF-TLP-4.htm>, Section 6b (*) 
doesn't make this conditional on code actually being present.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Why oh why are these official documents generated from Word, leading 
to no usable anchors???

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 09:48:16 -0700

> doesn't make this conditional on code actually being present.

Ahh. I should have known. Nonsensical, as expected.

> (*) Why oh why are these official documents generated from Word, leading

See RFC5385.

The template supports a currently-permitted ID and RFC submission format.

Also, there are plenty of usable anchors that are easily and 
automatically derived; see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5385 or
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-touch-tcp-ao-encrypt-00

Joe

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 12:03:34 -0500

>> (*) Why oh why are these official documents generated from Word, leading
You missed Julian's point. He was talking about the TLP, not IDs.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 10:23:30 -0700

>> On 5/20/2014 11:53 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
...
> You missed Julian's point. He was talking about the TLP, not IDs.

I did.

To his point, then:

Word generates HTML (and PDF) with anchors just fine. The fault lies in 
how the web page content was generated, not the authoring software.

Joe