Subject: [Tools-discuss] https: redirects to http: for tools.ietf.org?

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:28:07 -0700

Greetings again. I am about to create a tool that is writing a bunch of URIs for tools.ietf.org. I note that https: URLs redirect to http:. Is that a temporary glitch? Is the idea of having the tools site running TLS imminent, or longer-term?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:35:18 -0400

> Greetings again. I am about to create a tool that is writing a bunch of URIs for tools.ietf.org. I note that https: URLs redirect to http:. Is that a temporary glitch? Is the idea of having the too…

I'm not seeing any redirection there.

Can you give an example of what URL is giving you a redirection?

here's the non-redirected fetch for me:

0 dkg@alice:/tmp/cdtemp.GivL4D$ wget https://tools.ietf.org
--2014-09-02 12:34:09--  https://tools.ietf.org/
Resolving tools.ietf.org (tools.ietf.org)... 209.208.19.222,
64.170.98.42, 2001:1890:123a::1:2a
Connecting to tools.ietf.org (tools.ietf.org)|209.208.19.222|:443...
connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: ‘index.html’

    [ <=>                                   ] 92,105  526KB/s in 0.2s

2014-09-02 12:34:09 (526 KB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [92105]

0 dkg@alice:/tmp/cdtemp.GivL4D$

	--dkg

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:42:04 -0700

> I'm not seeing any redirection there.

All of the redirections that I see are from https: to http:. For example, try
   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-chain-query
That redirects to
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-chain-query-00

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:12:51 -0400

>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-chain-query-00

aha, it's the non-exact redirects that are supplying the http:// in the
Location response.  the target page is *also* available under https, but
the 302 redirect doesn't point that way.

So requesting a draft name without the version suffix, or just a
substring of the draft name produces the full URL.  Probably, the
Location response should be absolute , or at least schema-less.

The latest spec for the Location header [0] looks like either of these
structures should be acceptable:

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-7.1.2

I don't know where the code is for generating these redirects, but i'd
be happy to take a look at it if someone can point me to it.

thanks for catching this, Paul.  I'm using https-everywhere in my main
browser, so it all just stays https for me.

	--dkg

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:15:43 +0200

Hi Paul,

On 2014-09-02 18:28 Paul Hoffman said the following:
> Greetings again. I am about to create a tool that is writing a bunch
> of URIs for tools.ietf.org. I note that https: URLs redirect to
> http:.

Examples?

> Is that a temporary glitch? Is the idea of having the tools
> site running TLS imminent, or longer-term?

Tools in general is capable of using TLS, and has been so for years.  I need
specifics on where you see something else.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:17:58 -0700

> specifics on where you see something else.

See my message from about a half an hour ago. All the redirects for the drafts (at least) redirect to http:.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:33:54 +0200

> the drafts (at least) redirect to http:.

No, Paul, that's too great a generalization.  I can't work with that.  I'm
sure that when you say 'All the redirect for drafts' you have something quite
specific in mind, but if I'm going to guess that it's (for example)
redirects related to wiki expansions of terms starting with draft-, or
redirects from tools.ietf.org/id/hoffman to a list of all *-hoffman-*
drafts, and then start running around trying to find out *which* of all the
redirect mechanisms I've built over the years that needs attention, then
I'm going to loose too much time.

Your response to Daniel, with a specific example, was more helpful.

Have you seen any _other_ redirects than from a version-less
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-foo URL to a version-specific
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-foo-NN URL which exhibits this behaviour?

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:36:17 +0200

Hi DKG,

> Location response should be absolute , or at least schema-less.

I've made these redirect explicitly use https: now.

> be happy to take a look at it if someone can point me to it.

In this case, the code was in the apache 404 handler for the /html/
expansions.  Thanks for the offer.  Fixed now.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:55:02 -0700

> I've made these redirect explicitly use https: now.

Many thanks for the quick response! I'll use https: in the new thing I'm writing.

And, this made me realize that my IETF CLI tool (http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/ietf-cli/) still had http: URIs in it; those have now all been updated.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:50:32 -0700

> I've made these redirect explicitly use https: now.

Thank you!

The link to the text version at the top of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-04 goes to
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-04.txt (non-https)

In addition, the links to svn, jabber logs, and list archives at the top
of https://tools.ietf.org/wg/codec/ use http when the target resources
are available over https.

 -r

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:17:48 +0200

Hi Ralph,

> http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-04.txt (non-https)

Ok, fixed in the htmlizer, which will be rolled out to all the tools
sites shortly.  It will take about a month before all htmlized files
have been re-converted, though, so you won't see this fixed for all
drafts at once.

> are available over https.

Ok.  Some of these come from the datatracker, and will have to be fixed
there -- I'll fix the others though.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:56:40 -0700

> there -- I'll fix the others though.

Thanks. Where do I report datatracker bugs?

 -r

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:05:26 +0200

Hi Ralph,

> Thanks. Where do I report datatracker bugs?

  http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb

(That's also indicated in the list signature for the tools-discuss list).

	Henrik