Subject: [Tools-discuss] conditional query in draft submission for draft-i*-00 drafts

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 15:58:05 -0500

When a draft-ietf-....-00 draft is submitted, and often when a 
draft-iab-...-00 or draft-irtf-...-00 draft is submitted, it's a 
WG/IAB/RG-accepted revision of a previous individual submission.

There is a field in the datatracker database for this to be populated, 
which allows various tools, including the datatracker and 
tools.ietf.org/html/draft.... to provide proper linkage across versions. 
(For example, the tools.ietf.org/html version will show you a pointer to 
the previous individual submission and let you do a diff from the -00 
against the individual submission as well.)

However, this ONLY works when that pointer is populated. Right now, it 
almost always requires a manual poke at ietf-action or ietf-secretariat 
to get the linkage fixed up.

I know of several documents recently added to the draft-iab track (that 
were previously individual submissions) where the manual poke took 
significant time.

I'd like to propose that, when the file being submitted is named 
draft-ietf-...-00, draft-iab-...-00 or draft-irtf-...-00, another text 
box becomes visible that lets the author fill in the previous individual 
submission's filename. This information would be sent directly to the 
proper address at the secretariat for verification, and then the link 
can be added to the database by the secretariat.

Another additional enhancement would be tool support for the secretariat 
to use make easier the verification that the individual submission 
listed really is the previous version. (For example, show an iframe 
displaying the tools.ietf.org version of the individual-submission 
document and another iframe displaying the draft-i*-00 document, and a 
button that can be clicked to add the pointer data to the database.)

     Tony Hansen

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:16:10 -0800

On 2/6/2015 12:58 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:
> submission's filename.

+1

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 23:36:16 +0100

>> box becomes visible that lets the author fill in the previous individual

Ack; there's a ticket for this:
  http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/ticket/1165

	Henrik