Subject: [Tools-discuss] internet draft notifications

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 22:20:15 +0000

I imagine you are seeing the thread on ietf@ about draft announcements. Here’s a thought.

What if some tool at AMS, instead of instantly posting an email saying “we got another draft”, added the name and abstract of the draft to some file somewhere associated with a mailing list (ietf@, work group list, or whatever else), and at the end of the day (by some definition - 5:00 PM on the east side of the date line perhaps) sent all of the emails, one per list? That would give people the batching effect they mention...

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 07:07:44 -0700

> What if some tool at AMS, instead of instantly posting an email saying “we got another draft”, added the name and abstract of the draft to some file somewhere associated with a mailing list (ietf@,…

The premise behind this is that some hours of delay in getting notified
is not an issue.

For most of us and for most documents, this is no doubt correct.  The
question is the exceptions.

Common mailing list packages allow individual subscribers to distinguish
between getting each message as posted, versus a daily aggregation.  I
believe Fred's proposal is to default to the latter, for announcement of
new drafts.

ietf-announce is a standard mailman mailing list, which gives the list
administrator control over some relevant settings:

> Can list members choose to receive list traffic bunched in digests?
> (Edit digestable)
> 	
> No
> Yes
> Which delivery mode is the default for new users?
> (Edit digest_is_default)
> 	
> Regular 	Digest

Moving the default to 'aggregate' would then place the requirement on
those wishing individual, immediate copies to change from the default.

To get the granularity down to "draft announcements" rather than all
announcements will require a separate list.

The real challenge is to distinguish between different drafts and handle
them differentially.  I've no idea how to accomplish that reasonably,
with the current tools.

d/