Subject: [Tools-discuss] Fwd: Details about where the tracker is currently sending mail

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:10:33 -0500

Hrmm - that went into moderation.
The attachments are also at
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/email-analysis.xlsx
and
http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/email-analysis.pdf

Moderator - feel free to nuke the original message

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Details about where the tracker is currently sending mail
Date: 	Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:01:02 -0500
From: 	Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

All -

The attached spreadsheet (and a pdf printout from it) summarize when
mail comes out of the tracker and who that mail goes to.

The solid dots in the matrix mean mail is always sent.
The open dot means mail is conditionally sent (and the condition is
explained in the notes).
There is one row (about ballots) that has a checkbox symbol - that means
the AD can select or unselect that destination (an alias in this case),
before sending.
The notes call out the other places that the sender has an opportunity
to change the destinations before the message is sent.

I took one shortcut that doesn't align with the above to make the chart
less messy. When you see solid dots for group chairs and shepherds, know
that if a document has no group, or no shepherd has been assigned, then
those destinations aren't used.

I also haven't included a few messages that the tracker sends.

Specifically, I didn't list the messages related to the community
tracker (subscribing to changes for a draft and getting the mail for
those changes). The destination addresses there are always the person
subscribing.

I didn't include the messages that are sent only to the secretariat by
robots (such as the iana sync report, the rfc-editor queue message, or
when the tracker lets the secretariat know that a message tried to go
out with a bad email address in it).

I didn't include the messages sent to verify email when setting up a
datatracker account.

If you're interested, you can see a code-oriented view that _does_
include all those cases at
<http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/email-analysis/>.

If you see something in the spreadsheet or in the web page above that
you don't think is right, ask me. This was a brutal compilation effort -
the odds that I didn't get something wrong are small.

RjS