Subject: [Tools-discuss] rsync help

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:46:04 +0200

Dear all,

I try to download only the .txt drafts and RFCs.
As mentioned at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rsync-help.html, I'm using: *
     rsync -avz --delete ftp.rfc-editor.org::rfcs-text-only my-rfc-mirror*

The issue is that the results contain some .txt.p7s, some .xml extension.
What do I do wrong?

rsync ftp.rfc-editor.org::
everything-ftp     Everything FTP
refs               References
rfcs               Contents of in-notes including subdirectories std, 
bcp, fyi, and ien
rfcs-text-only     Only the text files from the directories in [rfcs]
rfc-ed-all         Entire repository (excluding internet-drafts)
internet-drafts    Internet Drafts
ids-text-only      Only text files from the Internet Drafts mirror
rfcs-pdf-only      PDF versions of ASCII RFCs to ensure correct page 
breaks, etc

rsync.ietf.org apparently doesn't help for my request

$ rsync  rsync.ietf.org::
charter            - Repository of WG Charters
concluded-wg-ietf-mail-archive    - Older list text archives
conflict-reviews    - Repository of Conflict Review documents
everything-ftp     - The entire IETF FTP Archive
iana               - IANA assignments
iana-timezone      - IANA Time Zone Datatbase (see also 
http://www.iana.org/time-zones)
id-archive         - The Internet Draft Archive (both active and expired 
drafts)
iesg-minutes       - IESG Minutes
internet-drafts    - The Internet Draft Repository (currently active drafts)
legacy-files       - Legacy material supporting long-lived URLs
mailman-archive    - Repository of Mailing List Text Archives
proceedings        - Repository of Proceedings
rfc                - Repository of RFCs
slides             - Repository of Slide Documents
status-changes     - Repository of Status Change Documents
$

Regards, Benoit

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:11:12 -0400

> The issue is that the results contain some .txt.p7s, some .xml extension.

Just now, I executed that command.  None of the files it retrieved had
".txt.p7s" extensions, and only one had an ".xml" extension
(rfc-index.xml).

Of course, the command retrieves whatever is in the directory
"rfcs-text-only".  If you want to ensure that you retrieve only files
with a certain extension, you'll have to use the --include and --exclude
options to rsync.

Dale

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 01:41:44 -0400

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Dale R. Worley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Here’s some examples of —-include and —-exclude. This is what I use for drafts:

% rsync -Pavlz --delete --delete-excluded --exclude=dummy.txt --include="*.txt" --include="*.ps" --include="*.pdf" --include="*.html" --include="*.xml" --exclude="*" www1.ietf.org::internet-drafts internet-drafts

and for RFCs:

% rsync -Pavlz --delete --delete-excluded --exclude=dummy.txt --include="*.txt" --include="*.ps" --include="*.pdf" --include="*.html" --include="*.xml" --exclude="*" ftp.rfc-editor.org::rfcs rfc

Tom

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 09:38:58 +0200

Thank you all for your private and public answers.

Regards, Benoit
> Tom.