Subject: [Tools-discuss] IMAP access to the list archives

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:49:25 -0500

The IMAP server providing access to the list archives is ready for use.

You can find instructions for configuring clients at
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/tools/trac/wiki/Imap>

Please help improve the instructions for various clients at that wiki.
The tools-discuss list (copied) is a good place to help each other with 
configuration and talk about the service.

If you discover errors, please let me know.

RjS

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:04:00 +0100

Plaudits:
This seems to work pretty well via Thunderbird.  The setup instructions 
worked as expected.

Possible bug:
The only issue that I have encountered is that the 'discuss' list has 
only displayed a small fraction of the messages that are on the list.  
Loading stopped after  1084 messages - the most recent one loaded is 
Message ID <[email-masked]> dated 2008/02/28.  Hitting 
'Get messages' doens't help. The other lists that I have subscribed to 
worked as expected and downloaded up to 21920 messages (ipv6).

Possible bug/infelicity:
In the process of trying to get the discuss mail downloaded, I tried 
'compacting' the mailbox.  Thunderbird reported that the operation had 
failed and the server had replied 'Internal Error'.

Setup suggestion:
In order to make it easier to reply to messages that one accesses via 
the IMAP server, it seems to be sensible to set the email address 
associated with the imap.ietf.org account to be the email address that 
one normally uses to send email to IETF lists (probably the same one as 
you use to login to the IETF tools.  This certainly seems to work OK in 
Thunderbird which doesn't have a problem with two accounts being 
associated with the same email address.

Regards,
Elwyn

On 21/10/2015 15:49, Robert Sparks wrote:
> The tools-discuss list (copied) is a good place to help each other 
> with configuration and talk about the service.
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:50:06 -0500

Thanks for the reports.

I'll follow up with you directly to see what's happening to you on the 
discuss list (I just verified I get the whole thing when setting up a 
new account).

RjS

On 10/23/15 9:04 AM, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> Plaudits:
> This seems to work pretty well via Thunderbird.  The setup 
> instructions worked as expected.
>
> Possible bug:
> one normally uses to send email to IETF lists (probably the same one 
> as you use to login to the IETF tools. This certainly seems to work OK 
> in Thunderbird which doesn't have a problem with two accounts being